Resources Minutes 12th Nov 2015

Castlewood School Governing Body

Resources Committee, Castlewood Road, Southwester, West Sussex, RH13 9US, Telephone: 01403 734822, Fax: 01403 734978. http://www.castlewood.w-sussex.sch.uk

Chair: Nicola Brown    Vice Chair:  Clare Quinlisk  

  Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

Resources Committee Meeting Minutes

Thursday 12th November 2015

Present: Chair - Nicki Brown (NB), Julie Wallace (JW), Sarah Speed (SS), Julia Slocombe (JS), Wendy Mason (WM), Clare Quinlisk (CQ), Mary Page (MP). Guests - Georgina Allan (GA), Cath Robertson (CR).

Clerk: Becky Atkinson (BA)

Meeting Commenced: 7pm                                                                                        

1.     Apologies for absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interests

Apologies were received from Ian Howard and Gillian Knight - the governors approved these. No apologies were received from Andy Guy. No pecuniary interests were noted.            

2.     Budget review 15-16 inc pupil premium and sports premium

CR provided a very thorough update on the school’s budget, key points are:-

-      Reduced Reserves by £500 to cover additional Clerical hours – some salaries are slightly more than estimated.

-      Electricity – overspend by £3232. There have been problems with the meter, which is not the school’s fault. As a result, the school has been undercharged a total of £5744.06 between the period Aug 2011 and Sep 2015. Npower have given the school £3053.29 in compensation in recognition of the error, and they have assured the school that the meter is working properly.

A robust discussion followed with the governors asking a number of questions regarding this issue. 

-      Sports Premium – an allocation of £5171 to be used by end of March 2016. It was discussed that there would be a further allocation of £3694, which will need to be used between April and Aug 2016. The Committee were told that this could be the last year of Sports Premium funding, as it was a 2 year initiative.

A discussion followed regarding this, which included a breakdown of what the funding is currently used for at the school.

-      Supply Teachers – the balance will be reduced by the end of March to support additional teachers. A governor asked if this budget was to cover sickness and training courses, and JS confirmed it was.

-      Pupil Premium – JS provided a table showing how the money is spent. The governors agreed that this was a good template to use, and enables the Committee to clearly see how the funding is allocated.

A discussion followed regarding the different cost lines on the table, and how these could be amended going forward - the governors challenged JS on this to ensure that the content is fit for purpose and for the right audience.

ACTION (1) – JS to amalgamate some of the cost lines.

ACTION (2) – BA to upload the table onto the Governor’s Website.

-      Teachers - since the initial allocation, some hours have been reduced.  A governor asked if this was for the short term, and JS confirmed it wasn’t – the reduction is a permanent arrangement.

-      A discussion followed regarding the Central Budgets Fair Funding pot; CR confirmed that a large amount of expenditure was downloaded in June 2015, and additional expenditure is due in Nov 2015. A governor asked if the school was still happy with the Central SLA service and CR confirmed they were. CR went on to inform the Committee of the Bursar Meeting Group that she attends, and an example of where a school came out of the SLA but now regrets it. However, CR was keen to point out that the school is not complacent when it comes to central services and costs, they do still continue to ensure they are getting value for money, and look around for better deals.

-      A good discussion was held regarding additional sun canopies for other areas of the school, currently the quote is too expensive but CR is still in contact with the company and trying to negotiate a better deal.

The governors thanked CR for her time, and for providing the update during this meeting.  CR left the meeting at 7.30pm.

3.     Approval of Minutes from previous meeting 1st October 2015

The minutes from the previous meeting were approved. 

4.     Matters arising from previous meeting on 1st October 2015

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Forward the presentation from the WSGA meeting onto the governors. ACTIONED

GK

2

Ensure the school office has the updated/approved copies of the Appraisal and Capability policies. ACTIONED

BA

3

Ensure all governors receive their log ins for the website. ACTIONED

BA

4

Confirm governor help at New Parents Open Morning, and Crèche for Parents Evening. Currently, SS and GK are available to support the New Parents Open Morning on Friday 20th Nov – ACTIONED.

BA

5

Induction Training for GA. ACTIONED

JW/WM

6

Ensure that GA/Associate Member is on the agenda for FGB in Dec 2015. ACTIONED

SS/BA

7

Send the SIP to SS. ACTIONED

GK

5.     Parent, Staff and Pupil Questionnaire

The governors had all been provided with a copy of each questionnaire, and had been asked to provide comments and feedback ahead of the meeting.

JS informed the Committee that the questionnaires would be distributed to staff, pupils and parents next week. The governors asked a number of questions regarding how the pupils complete their questionnaires, as well as the process for staff. JS responded that KS1 would do theirs as a group, and KS2 individually. For staff, a box will be in the staff room so that staff can submit their responses anonymously. JS explained that the timing for the parent questionnaire to go out has to be right, and a governor fed back that it would be useful to have a heads up via Parent Mail that the questionnaire will be sent home in bags.

A discussion followed regarding how the information will be collated and published.

6.     Staffing Update

An update was provided on staffing – recruitment is underway via the Agency to provide maternity leave cover for Year 1 (Mrs Magwidi is due to leave Feb half term). A governor asked if there would be a handover period, and JS responded.

A discussion followed regarding an accident that occurred in the school over the lunchtime period with a member of staff who tripped whilst clearing up the lunches. The staff member has reported that her wrist has been hurting since and has been unable to lift tables. JS has requested that the staff member visits the Minor Injuries Unit to have it looked at, and JS has also reported the incident to WSCC. A governor asked JS to ensure that all conversations have been noted and recorded. 

7.     Premises, and Health & Safety update

Nothing to report, IH has completed the Health and Safety visit and report for the Autumn Term. All governors had been provided with a copy of this prior to the meeting.

8.     Update on Governor Visits

SS provided an update for the Committee on the new arrangements for monitoring visits for this academic year. In conjunction with the SIP, SS and GK have developed the new pro formas around three focus groups. SS asked the governors for their thoughts and feedback on the new arrangements. A discussion followed about who was best to sit in which group, and which year group. The following groups were confirmed, (as IH is away until December he was not included for this term):-

Teaching & Curriculum Team

Pupil Contact Team

Planning, Tracking & Monitoring Team

Mary – Year 1

Julie – Year R

Andy – Year 2

Sarah – Year 3

Gillian – Year 5

Nicki – Year 6

Clare – Year 4

A discussion followed about the best times to schedule the visits – JS confirmed that at the end of the school day; 3.10pm onwards is a good time. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays are good days as Wednesdays is staff meetings, and on some Mondays, Key Stage meetings are held.

ACTION (3) – could all governors please contact the school office to arrange their visits. BA will send an email as a reminder.

The Committee then noted that it was important that any other governor visits to the school, whether formal or informal should also be recorded. SS and GK recently attended the Open Morning for New Parents, and they both commented on how exceptional the behaviour was in school by the pupils.

9.     Approval Pay Policy, Medicines Tool Kit and Data Protection Policy

Pay Policy

JS informed the governors that a new M6b level has been proposed. In line with this, JS has discussed the proposal amongst a number of local Heads, and the Locality suggestion is that teachers should provide evidence in line with the Ofsted framework to support a progression to this new level, similar to if they were requesting a move to UPS level.

JS asked the governors if they would be happy with this, and they confirmed they would be – DECISION.

ACTION (4) JS to send BA the framework for the new M6b level, for inclusion within the Pay Policy.

The Governors approved the Pay Policy – DECISION.

Medicines Policy and Checklist of Children with Medical Conditions

There is no change to the Medicines Policy, and the Checklist has been completed for this term. The Policy is approved – DECISION.

Data Protection Policy

The governors approved the policy – DECISION.

There is a statutory requirement to ensure that aspects of the Data Protection policy are published on the school’s website – ACTION (5) – BA and MF to review current wording and amend if required.

10.  Website Update

SS provided an update on the governor end of the website – whilst there are a few things still outstanding, most documents and papers are now uploaded.

JS asked if all of the accompanying papers for each Committee meeting could be uploaded for ease of access and viewing during meetings, however, it was decided that the volume and size would be too much for the website. BA confirmed that all accompanying documents and policies could be saved onto a USB ahead of each meeting and therefore more easily accessible during each meeting. ACTION (6) – BA to bring a USB with meeting papers to each meeting.

WM and GA mentioned that the document used for governor induction with all of the acronyms is very useful and would be helpful on the website.ACTION (7) – BA to upload.

A discussion followed regarding the information held on the school website regarding the Governors. Whilst the statutory table has now been published, should the individual, personal information on each governor be displayed too? There was agreement that it should. ACTION (8), BA to discuss with MF.

11.  Safeguarding including review of the accident book

WM provided an update of the latest incidents, including a cut wrist due to a pupil lifting some play equipment – processes have been in place to ensure that the accident is not repeated.

WM also advised that there were several broken arms and a broken thumb, but all occurred outside of school. 

12.  Easy Lunch hot dinner provision

JS informed the governors that Easy Lunch, the catering company currently providing hot meals to the school, have pulled out of the tendering process that is currently underway within WSCC for school hot meal providers.  This is because they do not feel that they can compete with some of the larger companies.

Along with the Locality Heads and Bursars, JS explained that Castlewood and other local schools are very happy with the service and quality provided, and are disappointed in this decision. The Locality are investigating whether a separate tendering process could be undertaken so that Easy Lunch would remain in the process, and be considered for the new contract.

A robust discussion followed regarding this, with the governors asking a number of questions about the process, timescales and the service that is currently provided.

ACTION (9) – JS will update the Committee in January 2016.

13.  School events requiring governor support

WM thanked NB and AG for their contribution at the Parents Evening crèche.

The next Open Morning for New Parents is being held on Friday 20th November, with SS and GK attending.

14.  Training and Locality Course

-      MP has completed the Performance Management for Headteachers training course.

-      WM attended the Link Governor training session.

-      SS completed the online Taking the Chair training, via the GEL.

-      WM, GA, JW and SS all confirmed that they have completed the Prevent training online, and read the Prevent Toolkit.

SS mentioned that it would be useful if another governor could complete the Safer Recruitment training – CQ confirmed she would do this. ACTION (10) – CQ to complete the training online.

15.  AOB

There was no AOB.

Meeting ended at 8.45pm.

 

Date of next meeting:

Thursday 3rd Dec

7pm - FGB Meeting

 

Thursday 14th Jan 2016

7pm Q&S

8pm Resources

 

 

Summary of Actions

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Forward the presentation from the WSGA meeting onto the governors. ACTIONED

GK

2

Ensure the school office has the updated/approved copies of the Appraisal and Capability policies. ACTIONED

BA

3

Ensure all governors receive their log ins for the website. ACTIONED

BA

4

Confirm governor help at New Parents Open Morning, and Crèche for Parents Evening. Currently, SS and GK are available to support the New Parents Open Morning on Friday 20th Nov – ACTIONED.

BA

5

Induction Training for GA. ACTIONED

JW/WM

6

Ensure that GA/Associate Member is on the agenda for FGB in Dec 2015. ACTIONED

SS/BA

7

Send the SIP to SS. ACTIONED

GK

Priorities 2015/16

Embed tracking system

Enable Lower Ability pupils to accelerate

Raise parental expectation

 

 

 

What difference have we made to the school through what we have discussed today?

 

Member Login
Welcome, (First Name)!

Forgot? Show
Log In
Enter Member Area
My Profile Log Out