Resources Minutes 3rd March 2016

Castlewood School Governing Body

Resources Committee, Castlewood Road, Southwester, West Sussex, RH13 9US, Telephone: 01403 734822, Fax: 01403 734978. http://www.castlewood.w-sussex.sch.uk

Chair: Nicola Brown    Vice Chair:  Clare Quinlisk  

Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

Resources Committee Meeting Minutes

Thursday 3rd March 2016

Present: Chair - Nicki Brown (NB), Sarah Speed (SS), Julia Slocombe (JS), Wendy Mason (WM), Clare Quinlisk (CQ), Mary Page (MP), Georgina Allan (GA), Gillian Knight (GK) and Cath Robertson (CR).

Clerk: Becky Atkinson (BA)

Meeting Commenced: 7pm

1.     Apologies for absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interests

No apologies were received from Andy Guy or Ian Howard. No pecuniary interests were noted.     

2.     Schools Financial Value Standard Approval (SFVS)

There has been one small change to this document. CR advised that the document has been reviewed with NB, along with NB being involved in a review of the 3 year projected budget. It was noted and discussed that Nicki’s financial background and expertise has been very useful, and provides reassurance from a governor’s perspective that the school’s budget is being managed well.

-      ACTION (1) - CR will amend the document to evidence NB’s involvement in the review of it.

DECISION – the governors approved the SFVS, and SS signed the document.

-      ACTION (2) – BA to update the SFVS on the governor’s website.

3.     Budget update/provisional close for end of financial year 15/16

CR provided a thorough explanation of the budget highlighting specific areas, such as: -

-      Administration. £1428 remaining in the budget – a discussion followed regarding replacement of the school’s servers. The governors asked questions regarding the cost, and the quantity of servers that require replacing.

-      Premises. Some of the drains in the playground are being repaired (under Buildings), and there are outstanding bills for General Rates and Water Services.

-      Curriculum. There is a balance to carry forward to the 2016/17 budget for Sports PE Grant but there are plans to spend the money. There will be zero balances for Supply Teachers and Pupil Premium; the funds are accounted for. There has been an overspend for Technicians, with a miscalculated salary by HR but this will be corrected next month.

-      Fair Funding. Outstanding bills will reduce the remaining budget allocated.

-      Capital. £11,525 remaining in the budget. A discussion about canopies followed – the school would still like to install these for the classrooms. A grant has been applied for, a decision is due shortly – if successful, the school will still need to contribute to the overall cost of these.

The governors thanked CR for a very well managed budget, and a clear explanation of the current funds.

A discussion followed regarding the WSCC campaign for Fairer Funding for schools in West Sussex.

A discussion followed regarding the funding process for Universal Free School Meals.

DECISION – The governors approved the close down of the 2015/16 budget.

4.     Approval of School Fund Accounts

CR explained that an external auditor (John Holmes) had independently reviewed the school fund account. A brief discussion was held regarding how the fund works.

DECISION – The School Fund Account was reviewed and approved by the governors.

5.     Approval of delegation of financial powers and duties of GB

DECISION – The Governors approved the delegation of financial powers and duties of the GB. 

ACTION (3) – ensure that a copy of the document is available on the governor’s website. BA

 The Committee agreed to discuss agenda item 14 – an update for the provision of hot meals, whilst CR was present.

(14) Easy Lunch hot dinner provision update

 JS updated the Committee on the tendering process that is being undertaken by Radford Chancellor for the provision of hot meals for a number of schools within the Locality. There are 7/8 companies that have now come forward to be part of the tendering process. A good discussion followed regarding the next steps. The Committee agreed to discuss this again at the next meeting in April.

ACTION (4) – ensure that Easy Lunch/Provision of Hot Meals is on the agenda for 28/4 meeting.BA/NB

 CR left the meeting at 7.45pm. 

6.     Matters arising from previous meeting on 14th January 2016

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

JS to send BA the framework for the new M6b level for inclusion within the Pay Policy. Pending – carry forward (Action 5)

JS/BA

2

Load acronyms document onto governor website. Actioned

WM/BA

3

Review and re-publish the personal information on each governor on the main school website, in addition to the statutory table. Actioned

WM

4

Complete the Safer Recruitment training online. Pending – carry forward (Action 6)

CQ

5

Amend the date on the Misuse of Drugs policy, and send all 3 approved policies to the school office. Actioned

BA

6

Review/amend access to the governor’s website for LB as she has had problems logging in. Actioned

BA

7

JS to email BA a copy of the Safeguarding report, for input regarding governor training completed. A copy of the report is to be made available on the governor’s website. Actioned

JS/BA

8

Email the governors re support needed for the crèche for the February parent consultation evenings. Actioned

BA

9

Update the training records with completed training, as advised in the meeting. Actioned

BA

7.     Approval of Minutes from previous meeting 14th January 2015.  

The minutes from the previous meeting were approved.

8.     Staffing Update         

JS updated the governors on the IT Technician role within the school, this is a part time post and is currently filled but there is a possibility the current job holder may be successful in securing a full time post in another school. A discussion followed. JS will keep the committee updated regarding this.

A governor asked JS to confirm the Year 1 maternity leave cover – JS confirmed that a temporary teacher was now in place.

JS confirmed that some additional funding was now being received in respect of one pupil, and TA cover has increased as a result of this. 

9.     Premises & Health and Safety Update

The governors had been provided with a copy of a letter that was sent from WSCC, to all parents, regarding the School Keep Clear traffic programme. A good discussion followed regarding parking at the school. 

10.  Update on Governor Visits, including informal visits

-      SS will visit Year 1 in a week or so; with the new temporary teacher, SS had waited until the post was filled and the teacher had started.

-      GK has visited Year 3, and she provided an update on her observations noting that the tracking process she reviewed was very thorough and helpful.

-      No other visits had taken place.

ACTION (7) – BA to send a reminder to all governors regarding visits that are due this term. All templates should be sent to GK so that she can collate the summary of findings in time for FGB on 23rd March. 

11.  Policies; review and approval of;

MP provided an update on the policies that had been sent out for review and approval: -

1.     Accessibility Strategy

2.     Managing Allegations against other pupils Policy

3.     Safeguarding Policy

DECISION – The Committee approved all 3 policies.

ACTION (8) – BA to send copies of the approved policies to MF (School Office) with new review dates.

One governor had noticed that in the Spring Term briefing papers, there was a requirement to ensure that the school’s procedures and policies included reference to FGM (Female Genital Mutilation) in terms of the identifying and reporting of FGM. JS confirmed that the school’s Child Protection Policy contains the information and procedures required, and that all staff are aware of the process.

12.  Berkeley Home Development Update

JS provided an update on the new housing development in Southwater village.

-      There is work underway shortly to make changes to the nearby roundabout on the main road through Southwater; there will be an impact on traffic as a result of this.

-      The first phase of the development is proposed to be ready for householders to move in by summer 2017.

-      A discussion was held regarding Grant 106, which is money allocated by the developer for the impact on local services, including schools. £1.3m has been set aside for this.

-      A discussion was held regarding the impact on Castlewood, and whether the PAN may increase. There is a possibility the school could revert back to 1.5 form entry, 45 children each academic year.

-      The Committee also discussed free schools and the option of forming an Academy Trust.

13.  Safeguarding including review accident book

WM provided an update; there was nothing unusual to report.

14.  Easy Lunch – hot dinner provision. Agenda item was discussed earlier

15.  School events requiring governor support    

JS confirmed there were no events for this term. JS advised that the planned quiz night had to be cancelled due to low numbers.

16.  Training and Locality Courses

-      NB attended the Locality training for Holistix. She also attended a meeting at Forest School regarding the provision of hot school meals, and change of supplier. Chartwells were in attendance at this meeting.

-      CQ has completed the following governance courses; Introduction to Finance, Understanding School Data, Introduction to Curriculum.

-      GK has attended a presentation regarding Terrorism.

ACTION (9) – Ensure that Prevent Training is on the agenda for the FGB on 23/3. SS/BA

ACTION (10) – Update the governors training record with completed courses. BA

17.  AOB

A governor asked JS how the focus on following up pupils with attendance below 90% is going.A discussion followed.

Julie Wallace has sent a message thanking the governors for her leaving presents, and evening out.

Meeting ended at 8.45pm.

Dates of next meetings:

Thursday 10th March

7pm - Q&S Committee

 

Wednesday - 23rd March

7pm - FGB Meeting

 

Thursday 21st April

7pm – Q&S Committee

 

Thursday 28th April

7pm – Resources Committee

 

Summary of Actions

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

CR will amend the SFVS document to evidence NB’s involvement in the review of it.

CR

2

Update the SFVS on the governor’s website.

BA

3

Ensure that a copy of the ‘Delegation of Financial Powers and Duties of the GB’ document is available on the governor’s website.

BA

4

Ensure that Easy Lunch/Provision of Hot Meals is on the agenda for 28/4 Resources meeting.

BA/NB

5

C/F - JS to send BA the framework for the new M6b level for inclusion within the Pay Policy.

JS/BA

6

C/F - Complete the Safer Recruitment training onlinevia NSPCC

CQ

7

Send a reminder to all governors regarding monitoring visits that are due this term. All completed templates should be sent to GK so that she can collate the summary of findings in time for FGB on 23rd March.

BA

8

Send copies of the approved policies to MF (School Office) with new review dates.

BA

9

Ensure that Prevent Training is on the agenda for the FGB on 23/3. SS/BA

SS/BA

10

Update the training record.

BA

Member Login
Welcome, (First Name)!

Forgot? Show
Log In
Enter Member Area
My Profile Log Out