Sentry Page Protection

FGB Minutes

Maria Roberts

Maria Roberts Parent Governor and Chair of the Quality and Standards Committee


I am a Parent Governor at Castlewood and have lived in the village for 10 years. I have two children at Castlewood, Ella and Nathaniel.   Both my husband and I are teachers, although I've worked as an adviser within West Sussex Learning Service since 2001, supporting schools in a variety of ways. I understand how hard teachers work and hope that in the role of parent governor, I can put a bit of time and support into our children's school. 

FGB Agenda 23rd March 2016

Castlewood School Governing Body                            

Castlewood Road, Southwester, West Sussex, RH13 9US, Telephone: 01403 734822, Fax: 01403 734978 http://www.castlewood.w-sussex.sch.uk

Chair: Sarah Speed Vice Chair:  Mary Page

Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

Full Governing Body meeting – Wednesday 23 March 7pm

Agenda

Max Time   Lead

1.     Apologies for absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interests  2 mins  SS

2.     Approval of FGB Minutes from 3rd Dec 2015 2 mins All Both Part 1 and Confidential Part 2 minutes 

3.     Matters arising from previous FGB meeting on 3rd Dec 2015  5 mins All

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Diarise for the Summer Term, to confirm whether there are any policies that could be approved in the Housekeeping Meeting held in Sep 2016.

BA

2

Obtain data terminology/acronyms from MR, and induction terminology/acronyms from JW or WM, and load onto the governor’s website.

BA

3

Provide an update at the next FGB regarding the Peer Monitoring scheme (Salus) – via the HT report.

JS

4

JS has requested a report from WSCC re Safeguarding and CP, a further update will be provided at the next Committee meeting in Jan 16.

JS

5

Email a list of the dates and content of the new Ofsted training courses, to all governors, consider whether this is something that Maria could deliver to the Castlewood governors?

WM/MR

6

Email the governors re the Locality training at Arunside school and let Shelley Baker know of our attendees.

BA

7

GK will send BA the Spring Term monitoring visit templates, and BA will email out to the governors with a reminder of who is going where.

GK/BA

8

- Remind CQ and AG of the Prevent Training requirements.

- Update the Training Record with training completed.

BA

4.     Reporting to the Governing Body     

a)     To receive the report from the Head Teacher and discuss 15 mins JS

-        Please read the report before the meeting and raise questions beforehand.

b)     Link Governor Report – verbal update at the meeting 5 mins WM

c)     Governor visits (formal and informal)  15 mins All/GK

-      Feedback from anyone who hasn’t yet reported back in Committees

-      Summary/Outcomes of Spring Term visits

-      Summer Term teams and pro-formas

 

5.     Governor vacancies 10 mins SS

-      To include collective skills review

 

6.     Training Updates:                                                                                                                

a)     Prevent Training  15 mins JS/MR

-      What are the implications for our school to improve further?

b)     Early Help/Holistix (To be carried forward to next term)

 

7.     Safer Recruitment 10 mins  JS

-      To include review and approval of Safer Recruitment Policy and Checklist

 

8.     Policies  2 mins  MP/SS

-      Governor’s Code of Practice policy

 

9.     Paperwork for completion and signing  5 mins BA/SS

-      Governor’s Code of Practice

-      Register of Business Interests and Pecuniary Interests

-      Membership of GB declaration and disqualification document

 

10.  SEF/Ofsted criteria and evidence from Q&S Committee meeting 5 mins MR/SS

-      Update and next steps

 

11.  AOB 5 mins All

 

Additional Meeting Papers provided:

-        Previous meeting minutes (3rd Dec 2015)

-        Heads report – March 2016

-        Safer Recruitment Policy and Checklist

-        Updated Governor’s Code of Practice policy

 

Date of next meeting:

Thursday 21st April

7pm – Q&S Committee

 

Thursday 28th April

7pm – Resources Committee

 

 

Priorities 2015/16

Embed tracking system

Enable Lower Ability pupils to accelerate

Raise parental expectation

 

 

What difference have we made to the school through what we have discussed today?

FGB Minutes 3rd Dec 2015

Castlewood School Governing Body                            

Castlewood Road, Southwester, West Sussex, RH13 9US, Telephone: 01403 734822, Fax: 01403 734978 http://www.castlewood.w-sussex.sch.uk

Chair: Sarah Speed Vice Chair:  Mary Page

 

Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

Full Governing Body – Meeting Minutes

Thursday 3rd December 2015 – 7pm

 

Present:Sarah Speed (SS), Gillian Knight (GK), Nicki Brown (NB), Clare Quinlisk (CQ), Julia Slocombe (JS), Mary Page (MP), Ian Howard (IH), Wendy Mason (WM), Julie Wallace (JW), Lauren Brown (LB), Georgina Allan (GA), Andy Guy (AG)

Clerk: Becky Atkinson (BA)

Meeting Commenced: 7pm

                                                                                                                                                                 

1.     Apologies for absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interests

Apologies were received from Maria Roberts - the governors accepted these. No pecuniary interests were advised or noted.      

2.     Approval of Minutes from 2nd July 2015 (part 1 and part 2)   

The governors approved the minutes of the Full Governors meeting held on 2nd July 2015.                     

3.     Matters arising from meeting on 2nd July 2015           

Part 1

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

a) Confirm how many families would have been affected by a possible fine for unauthorised absence – for discussion at Resources in the Autumn Term.

b) Draft a paragraph to be included in a future school newsletter to advise parents that the governing body are considering fines for unauthorised absence.

c) Discuss Absence at the next West Horsham heads meeting to see what procedures are in place in other local schools.

ACTIONED - Topic is on the agenda for this meeting.

JS

2

Ensure unauthorised absence and fines is on the agenda for Resources in the Autumn term, with a view to making a final decision at FGB in Dec 2015. ACTIONED

BA

3

Provide governors with a full list of training courses available ACTIONED

WM/BA

4

As of Sept 2015, governors should use the training and development section of the meetings to discuss upcoming courses /CPD requirements for governors. ONGOING, ACTIONED

WM/BA

5

Ensure that HT Performance Management panel is on the agenda for Resources (Autumn Term), a governor is needed to replace GK, and will join SS and MP on the new panel for 15/16. ACTIONED – CQ is joining the panel.

BA

6

Tidy up the 3 policies and send to the school office. Let the office know the new review dates and that ‘Complaints within the GB’ is a new policy (BA). ACTIONED

BA

7

Update the Training Plan with recent training completed, and provide WM with a copy of the latest version. ACTIONED

BA

Part 2

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Ensure the language on the HT’s Performance Management plan and subsequent review documents match the new language as per the new curriculum ACTIONED

JS/SS

2

Collate all comments received from governors, and circulate the Review of the Year summary ACTIONED

BA

3

Collate all comments of good/even better if ready for discussion at meeting on 16th July ACTIONED

BA

4

Send the slides from the Child Protection session to Becky, for circulation to the governors ACTIONED

JS/BA

5

Add all attendees to the governor training record ACTIONED

BA

6

The Prevent Toolkit, and Child Protection Policy to be reviewed in the Autumn Term 2015. ACTIONED

JS/BA

7

Advise governors of meeting dates for 2015/16 academic year ACTIONED

BA

4.     Matters arising from Housekeeping Meeting 17th Sep 2015

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

- Confirm who sits on FGB as the Staff Governor

- Confirm with WSCC about GA becoming an Associate Member if we assume LB sits on FGB.

ACTIONED

JS

BA

2

Consider whether there are any policies that could be reviewed/approved during 2016 Housekeeping Meeting

ONGOING, BA/SS will pick this up in the Summer Term ACTION (1)

BA/SS

3

Confirm the Prevent Training that is available for governors ACTIONED

BA

4

Contact CQ and ask if she would like to be on the HT PM panel ACTIONED

BA

5

Discuss Policy Working Group with GK. ACTIONED – MP will head up the Policies Working Group, working with Sue Barnard. Gillian has offered to help Mary as required.

BA

6

Circulate updated meeting dates for 2015/16 ACTIONED

BA

7

Discuss SIP and Monitoring at next Q&S ACTIONED

MR/BA

8

Discuss Parent Elections for Oct/Nov 2015, with the school office ACTIONED

BA

9

Provide email log ins for each governor, for access to the website ACTIONED

BA

10

Ensure a summary of terminology, particularly regarding data is uploaded onto the website Not yet completed, BA will obtain terminology from MR and load onto website. ACTION (2)

BA

5.     Election of Georgina Allan as Associate Member

A discussion was held regarding the duties of an Associate Member. It was confirmed that GA will sit on the Resources Committee with voting rights (but AM’s cannot be included in the quorum), and GA is able to attend FGB meetings but as an AM is unable to vote.

 

The Governors voted, and GA is elected as an Associate Member with a 4 year term. (DECISION)

 

6.     Reporting to the Governing Body     

a)     Head Teacher’s report

The governors had been asked to read the HT report prior to the meeting, and raise questions accordingly. JS proceeded to respond to the questions raised. Key points are summarised below:-

-      Autumn Term Observations. There was no particular aspect of Maths observed, just whatever was on the plan for the particular day that the observations were carried out. A day was chosen, rather than the subject. An external validation will be carried out, with another Primary School Headteacher.

-      All teachers have been observed this term; the format is the same, based on the Ofsted framework. All teachers have areas of development, even if they are Good/Outstanding, JS advised that actions/next steps are always identified.

-      A discussion followed about Kiva. JS informed the governors about this organisation and how it is supporting children in schools to work with them. The governors were very interested in this programme, and JS provided some excellent feedback regarding how pupils have responded to being part of this initiative. Two pupils from Castlewood attended a presentation at Tanbridge.

-      Following PC Beckley’s visit, there is information on the school website regarding online safety and cyber bullying.

-      A discussion followed regarding attendance; the change from 85% to 90% monitoring is a national change.

 

The governors asked about Peer Monitoring, and JS provided an update on this;

-      It is free, WSCC are paying for it.

-      Salus is the organisation that is providing the training and support for the children.

-      There is a menu of training available, the initiative Castlewood are involved in is based on the Friendship Buddy section.

-      The target age is currently Year 5 children becoming involved in the Spring Term with the aim to continue the benefit into Year 6.

-      A good discussion followed regarding this scheme, and the governors were interested in hearing more about it. ACTION (3) JS to provide an update at FGB in March.

 

A governor asked about the strengths and even better ifs that staff had been asked to review from July’s HT report. JS gave an update on this, a handout was provided. A discussion followed.

 

b)     Safeguarding and Child Protection annual report

JS advised that the system has recently changed. The report is completed and submitted online, but is unable to be printed. Once submitted, you cannot view the report. JS has requested a report from WSCC, and will provide a further update at the next Committee meetings in January 2016. ACTION (4)

 

c)     Link Governor Report

WM discussed the range of training courses available, and highlighted the new Ofsted series of courses, for the governors to consider. These are in the Spring Term, there are 6 of them, and they are each 3 hours long. ACTION (5) WM will email a list of the dates and content of these courses to all governors. The governors asked if the content was something that MR could deliver to the governors.

 

A discussion followed regarding the Locality training courses, of which there is now a charge direct to the school.

 

JS advised that there is a training session (1 hour) being held at Arunside at 6.30pm on 19th January 2016, regarding Early Help/Holistix (replaces the CAF system) and the different levels of intervention. Two governors are able to attend from each of the Locality schools.

ACTION (6) BA to email all of the governors regarding this, and let Shelley Baker know of our attendees.

 

d)     Governor visits

GK provided an update on governors visits to school for this term, key points to note are:-

-      All 3 monitoring groups have been covered.

-      JW talked about her visits to Year R and how she had to adapt some of the questions on the pro-forma to suit the age of the children.

-      GK visited Year 5, who were doing a Maths lesson – it was noted that the children were able to refer back to previous work they had done and link the two.

-      The use of the green pen is still working well.

-      The governors discussed the use of ‘jargon’ and the need to ensure that words are not used that the children would not understand.

-      NB, as part of the Planning, Tracking and Monitoring team, visited Mrs Brown and Mrs Dedman. They reviewed the excel spreadsheet, and the process to populate and update this.

-      NB also commented that the behaviour of the children who participate in the after school Cross Country Club is very good.

-      CQ provided feedback from the Open Morning for new parents that she attended as a parent; the behaviour, maturity and confidence of the pupils was excellent.

-      SS visited Year 3, looking at the Teaching and Curriculum aspect of the monitoring. A discussion followed regarding different ability groups, intervention groups and the need to slow down and pause if some children are not keeping pace.

-      It was agreed that the work of the TA is fundamental, and the governors can see this on their visits.

 

The governors moved on to discuss monitoring visits for the Spring Term, and who was going to visit which year group.

Teaching & Curriculum Team

Pupil Contact Team

Planning, Tracking & Monitoring Team

Ian – Year 6

Nicki – Year 4

Gillian – Year 3

Mary – Year 2

Sarah – Year 1

Clare – Year 5

Andy – Year R

ACTION (7) – GK will send BA the Spring Term templates, and BA will email out to the governors with a reminder of who is going where.

 

7.     Staffing Update

JS advised that there is no change; they are recruiting to cover Mrs Magwidi’s maternity leave.

 

8.     Governor vacancies and recruitment

It was confirmed that JW would leave the governing body in January, so the Committee meetings being held on 14th January will be her last meetings. A discussion followed regarding a new Parent Governor, along with the vacant Co-Opted Community governor.

 

We will ask for nominations for a new parent governor in January, and reference to this will also be made in the next Governor’s newsletter that will be sent in January. The governors discussed the skills that would be useful to have; such as Financial, a link to local businesses or communities, as well as time commitment.

 

9.     Unauthorised absence from school and fines

JS confirmed that currently there is no primary school in the Locality opting to fine parents for unauthorised absence. The governors agreed to monitor the situation, and deal with persistent unauthorised absence accordingly, and as necessary.

 

10.  Policies

The Staff and Governor Rights and Responsibilities document was approved – (DECISION).

 

11.  Governors Training and Development

Governors have complete the following training:-

-      CQ has undertaken the Headteacher Appraisal and Capability training, available via the GEL.

-      JS has completed Prevent Training, and Early Help/Think Family training.

-      LB has completed Child Protection and Safeguarding training.

-      An update was provided on the Prevent Training that all governors were required to complete.

ACTION (8) – BA to remind CQ and AG of the Prevent Training required. BA will update the Training Records with the training completed, as advised above.

 

12.  AOB

SS commented that ahead of JW leaving the governing body, a leaving do should be planned. The governors all agreed.

 Meeting ended at 8.45pm. Staff governors left the meeting, and the remaining governors stayed to discuss the Headteacher Performance Management, and Pay Committee decisions. The discussions are minuted as Confidential Part 2 minutes.

 

Date of next meeting:

Thursday 14th January 2016

7pm – Resources Committee

8pm – Q&S Committee

 

Thursday 3rd March 2016

7pm – Resources Committee

 

Thursday 10th March 2016

7pm – Q&S Committee

 

Wednesday 23rd March 2016

7pm – FGB meeting

 

Summary of Actions

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Diarise for the Summer Term, to confirm whether there are any policies that could be approved in the Housekeeping Meeting held in Sep 2016.

BA

2

Obtain data terminology/acronyms from MR, and induction terminology/acronyms from JW or WM, and load onto the governor’s website.

BA

3

Provide an update at the next FGB regarding the Peer Monitoring scheme (Salus) – via the HT report.

JS

4

JS has requested a report from WSCC re Safeguarding and CP, a further update will be provided at the next Committee meeting in Jan 16.

JS

5

Email a list of the dates and content of the new Ofsted training courses, to all governors, consider whether this is something that Maria could deliver to the Castlewood governors?

WM/MR

6

Email the governors re the Locality training at Arunside school and let Shelley Baker know of our attendees.

BA

7

GK will send BA the Spring Term monitoring visit templates, and BA will email out to the governors with a reminder of who is going where.

GK/BA

8

- Remind CQ and AG of the Prevent Training requirements.

- Update the Training Record with training completed.

BA

FGB Minutes 2nd July 2015

Full Governing Body – Meeting Minutes

Thursday 2nd July 2015

Present:Julie Wallace (JW), Sarah Speed (SS), Gillian Knight (GK), Nicki Brown (NB), Clare Quinlisk (CQ), Maria Roberts (MR), Julia Slocombe (JS), Mary Page (MP), Ian Howard (IH), Wendy Mason (WM)

Clerk: Becky Atkinson (BA)

Meeting Commenced: 9.30am                                                                                                                                              

1.       Apologies for absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interests

Apologies were received from Chris Noble. No apologies were received from Andy Guy. The governors accepted these. No pecuniary interests noted.            

2.       Reconstitution of Governing Body 

JW reminded the governors of the recent Reconstitution which came into effect on 1st July 2015.

DECISION - The Core governors approved the appointment of the Co-Opted governors; Gillian Knight, Ian Howard, Wendy Mason and Mary Page.

The Governing Body currently has one vacancy for a Co-Opted governor.                               

3.       Approval of Minutes from 25th March 2015 

All governors present approved the minutes of the Full Governors meeting held on 25th March 2015.

4.       Matters arising from meeting on 25th March 2015                                  

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Obtain updated Spring Term visit form from IH following his visit to Year 4 ACTIONED

BA

2

Send Summer Term monitoring visit template to all governors along with a reminder for visits to be booked in. ACTIONED

BA

3

Put a copy of the Spring Term overview paperwork into the Governor visit folder. ACTIONED

BA

4

Finalise policies as approved in the meeting, and send to the school office - ACTIONED

BA

5

Confirm how many of the Core governors are required to be present in order to be quorate for the FGB in July – ACTIONED. This is the same as for normal FGB and Committees (50%), so 4 of the Core governors would be required in order to be quorate for 2/7/15 and for the Co-Opted governors to be appointed.

BA

6

Prepare new instrument of government following agreement to new Reconstitution model and send to WSCC - ACTIONED

BA

7

Inform School Office and governors that the FGB in July is proposed for Thursday 2nd July - ACTIONED

BA

8

Discuss structure of the day for FGB in July - ACTIONED

JW/SS/MR/JS

5.       Reporting to the Governing Body   

 

a)      Head Teacher’s report

The governors had been asked to read the HT report prior to the meeting, and raise questions accordingly. JS proceeded to respond to the questions raised. Key points are summarised below:-

-        In classes with low numbers, e.g. current Reception year with 23 children, every child therefore counts as a higher percentage in terms of data. So it may only take one or two children who are not meeting expectations to bring the percentages down. It was also noted that the current Reception year group is two-thirds boys. A governor asked whether there was anything that the governors need to keep an eye on - JS assured the governors that whilst you have to be careful not to be alarmed for the reasons outlined above, moving into Year 1, there are 2 pupils who will work with Sue Parkins to support them further.

-        A discussion followed regarding the school’s priority to engage with ‘hard to reach parents’ and the governors asked questions regarding progress made in this respect.  This was also discussed in more detail under section 6 and the addendum (part 2) minutes.

-        A governor challenged the HT regarding the need to have SPAG on the HT report for the next academic year – JS confirmed that she would report on this from now on as it is measureable data.

-        A long discussion followed regarding joint observations, and the school’s target to move Teaching and Learning from Good to Outstanding including methods on how this could be achieved.

-        The governors discussed whether or not monitoring visits for next year should include time spent in classroom observing teachers. Currently, governors meet with staff away from the class.A discussion about Maths Book monitoring followed. A governor recommended that it might be useful for governors to see how the monitoring of booksprocess works, just as a fly on the wall.

-        Singapore Maths was discussedand how this method can enhance the good practice already being carried out.

-        The importance of TAs was recognised and discussed.

-        A governor asked whether the school has enough Learning Mentors – it was appreciated that whilst more would be great, there is not enough funding to support this.

-        The governors discussed a recent Locality talk given by Will Ryan (ex Teacher and now inspirational speaker).

-        JS confirmed that PM reviews were currently in hand, and would be completed during the last two weeks of term when Mrs Brown and Mrs Lucas were available to cover.

-        An active discussion followed regarding Absence, and the governors discussed in some length whether or not to introduce fines for unauthorised absence.

ACTION – (1a). Further analysis needs to be done to understand the impact – this will be done based on past unauthorised absence to ascertain how many families would have been affected. (1b). A paragraph will also be included in a future school newsletter to advise parents that the governing body are considering fines for unauthorised absence. JS will decide which newsletter to put this into. (JS)

ACTION – (1c). JS to discuss Absence at the next West Horsham heads meeting to see what is being done regarding absence in the locality. (JS)

ACTION – (2). Ensure this is on the agenda for Resources in the Autumn term, with a view to making a final decision at FGB in Dec 2015. (BA)

 

 

b)      Link Governor Report

-        WM confirmed that she has drafted the content for the next governor newsletter.

-        A discussion followed regarding forthcoming training courses. ACTION - (3). A full list of courses available will be sent to all governors (WM/BA).

-        It was noted that as well as discussing what training governors have completed during our meetings as regular agenda items, it was also important to discuss what training can and needs to be done in the future across the governing body.

ACTION – (4). As of Sept 2015, governors should use the training and development section of the meetings to discuss upcoming courses /CPD requirements for governors. (BA/WM)

 

6.       Governor Visits and Individual Reports                                                                        

-        GK provided a summary of the term’s visits – a discussion followed and the governors highlighted the exceptional effort that staff are putting in, in order to engage with the ‘hard to reach’ parents.

-        A governor challenged the group as to whether this was having impact, and whether those parents are becoming ‘easier to reach’.

-        JS provided an example of a recent meeting with parents where the engagement has noticeably improved as a result of the extra effort by her and other staff members. A discussion followed regarding how we are tracking and logging this achievement.

 

A discussion followed about visits with TAs and office staff in addition to teachers. Some governors pointed out that the TA is often present during their visits and provides input to the meetings. The quality of the TAs is always recognised by the governors and the teaching staff.

 

The governors then proceeded to provide summaries of their time spent in class that morning; all of the governors who visited classes were impressed by the level of teaching that they saw, and by the engagement of the children. The governors agreed that the objectives of their visits were met. See addendum (part 2) minutes. 

7.       SIP 14/15 review of the year

The governors agreed to discuss the review of the SIP at the session planned later on in the day – minutes of this session will be provided as an addendum to these minutes.                                                                         

8.       Confirm HT PM panel for 15/16

GK confirmed that she was stepping down from the panel at the end of this school year. SS and MP would continue but a third governor is required; a brief overview was provided of the responsibilities and time requirements for this role.

ACTION – (5). Governors were asked to consider whether they would like to move into this position, and it will be discussed again at the first Resources Committee of the Autumn Term (BA).                                              

9.       To discuss procedure for Heatwave alert part of Emergency Plan                    

JW informed the governors that whilst the Emergency Plan was previously agreed in November 2014, there have been additional guidelines recently provided by WSCC regarding heatwaves.

A discussion followed regarding a recent spell of hot weather, and how the school deals with this.

DECISION – the governors agreed to adopt the Heatwave procedures as part of the Emergency Plan.

10.   Policies                                                                                                                       

a)      General Complaints to School policy

JW discussed the changes to the model WSCC policy, with the current 3 stage process now becoming 4 stages which makes the policy more robust.

DECISION – the governors approved the policy. Next review Autumn 2016.

b)      How to deal with Complaints within your own GB procedures

The governors discussed the new model policy that has been provided by the NGA, they were comfortable that they have a robust induction process that discusses complaints within the GB and were therefore happy to adopt the policy.

DECISION – the governors approved the policy. Next review Spring 2017.

ACTION – (6). Tidy up the policies and send to the school office. Let the office know the new review dates and that ‘Complaints within the GB’ is a new policy (BA).

11.   Training and Development                

A wide range of training and development courses and initiatives have been completed, these are listed below – the governors were reminded that any training which has been completed outside of their governor roles is equally as important to note and acknowledge.

JS – O-Track

IH – Safeguarding Children

NB – Fraud

CQ - Competency Based Interviewing

SS – Coaching (refresher)

MP – Organisational Development, and Talent & Succession Planning

MR – Mock Ofsted

ACTION – (7) Ensure the Training Plan is updated, and provide WM with a copy of the latest version (BA). 

12.   AOB

A discussion was held regarding after school clubs, and in particular the Girls and Boys football that is offered.

A governor asked about a leaving present for CN – JW advised this is in hand. 

Meeting ended at 11.40am.

The governors remained in school and were present for additional sessions throughout the day – minutes from these sessions are documented separately as Part 2 minutes.  

Date of next meeting:

Thursday 17th September 2015, 7pm – Housekeeping Meeting

Summary of Actions

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

a) Confirm how many families would have been affected by a possible fine for unauthorised absence – for discussion at Resources in the Autumn Term.

b) Draft a paragraph to be included in a future school newsletter to advise parents that the governing body are considering fines for unauthorised absence.

c) Discuss Absence at the next West Horsham heads meeting to see what procedures are in place in other local schools.

JS

2

Ensure unauthorised absence and fines is on the agenda for Resources in the Autumn term, with a view to making a final decision at FGB in Dec 2015.

BA

3

Provide governors with a full list of training courses available

WM/BA

4

As of Sept 2015, governors should use the training and development section of the meetings to discuss upcoming courses /CPD requirements for governors.

WM/BA

5

Ensure that HT Performance Management panel is on the agenda for Resources (Autumn Term), a governor is needed to replace GK, and will join SS and MP on the new panel for 15/16.

BA

6

Tidy up the 3 policies and send to the school office. Let the office know the new review dates and that ‘Complaints within the GB’ is a new policy (BA).

BA

7

Update the Training Plan with recent training completed, and provide WM with a copy of the latest version.

BA

Priorities 2014/15 

Raise standards in English - 100% of able pupils make expected progress and 45% make more than expected progress

Teaching and Learning increasingly moving from Good to Outstanding

Greater Engagement with hard to reach parents 

What difference have we made to the school through what we have discussed today?  

Full Governing Body – addendum to main Meeting Minutes

Additional sessions held following main FGB meeting - Thursday 2nd July 2015

Present:Julie Wallace (JW), Sarah Speed (SS), Gillian Knight (GK), Nicki Brown (NB), Clare Quinlisk (CQ), Maria Roberts (MR), Julia Slocombe (JS), Mary Page (MP), Ian Howard (IH), Wendy Mason (WM)

Clerk: Becky Atkinson (BA)

Meeting Commenced: 11.50am

1. Governors discussion of session in class 8.45-9.15am

Engagement of Pupils - questions to consider:

-        What is the learning purpose during this time?

-        Do pupils understand what they are learning?

-        Can pupils explain their learning?

Governors discussed what they had seen during their time in class.  Governors were in the Reception class up to Year 4.  Year 5 had a water sports day at the Country Park and Year 6 had their Secondary School induction day.  Paperwork will be put in the governor visits folder.

Governors felt that the children could explain what they were doing across each class.  Some classes were doing ‘cold activities’ which were done in a specific book where they worked independently.  There was a carousel of activities, which the children moved around throughout the week.  One class had handwriting practice that was differentiated.  Children could explain how they had to adapt their handwriting due to the electronic marking of tests being introduced.

All governors felt that the children had a strong understanding of the routines during this time.  The children understood what they were learning, and they could explain their learning to the governors.  The learning purpose varied across the key stages.

Governors felt that this time in class was worthwhile as it gave them contact with the children during the school day.

 

2. Governors Review of the Year

Prior to the session, the governors had all been provided with a self review of the year document and had been asked to complete this ahead of the meeting. A summary of the completed responses is provided as a separate document in addition to this summary.

JW led the session, and the group focused on the review and achievements of the school improvement priorities for the 2014/15 academic year.                

ACTION – (1). A governor pointed out that the language used on the HT Performance Management plan and reviews should now match the language used as per the new curriculum (JS/SS).

 

Priority 1

Raise standards in English – 100% of able pupils make expected progress and 45% make more than expected progress

 

A discussion followed regarding this priority, and in particular the school’s focus on parent workshops and reading diaries. The governors were in agreement that the school has worked hard to improve standards in English, and this has been evidenced during the governor’s monitoring visits and through in-house data monitoring throughout the year.  Test data will be reviewed in November 2015 in the Q&S Committee meeting.

 

Priority 2

Teaching and Learning increasingly moving from Good to Outstanding

It was noted that a good discussion had already been held regarding lesson observations during the FGB meeting in the morning.

A governor asked about external validation of lesson observations – JS discussed the partnership with St Johns primary school. A long and challenging discussion followed regarding whether or not the governors felt this was enough, with references made to the previous Ofsted inspection where the importance of external validation was highlighted. It was discussed that the LA can provide further validation of the quality of teaching.

MR pointed out that this was her role within WSCC – and this is something she undertakes for other Horsham schools. Following a healthy discussion, it was agreed that MR would conduct a formal visit to Castlewood in the Spring Term but with a ‘LA hat’ on, not a ‘Parent Governor hat’.

The focus of the visit(s) will be Data Review, Teaching and Leadership, and will involve a Book Look, Learning Walk, and interviews with key staff and governors.

NB also offered to come in and do an external validation of the school’s Finance.

DECISION - MR to conduct a formal LA visit Spring 2016.

DECISION - NB to conduct a visit to look at the school finances.

 

Priority 3

Greater engagement with hard to reach parents

The governors agreed that this was discussed in some depth during the morning meeting. It is felt that this has been a strong area for the school this year, and a lot of extra effort has been evidenced.

To conclude this session, it was agreed that the overall summary of comments received would be collated and circulated by BA – ACTION (2).

There is a Heads and Chairs meeting being held on Thursday 16th July to discuss structures and agendas for the forthcoming academic year – some of the comments received in the Even Better If section of the self review will be discussed further then. 

ACTION (3) - BA to collate all comments of good/even better if ready for discussion at meeting on 16th July.

Governors adjourned for lunch at 12.30pm.

Child Protection Training

The meeting resumed at 1pm and JS led the session on Child Protection. The purpose of this was to update governors on most recent CP training. Key points:-

-        A robust discussion was held regarding the new Prevent strategy that had just come through and the implications this would have on the school and governors.

-        Governors discussed which areas of abuse the school is most likely to see (physical, emotional).

-        Governors were made aware of changes to the Common Assessment Framework (CAF) which is now Holistix. 

-        A discussion was held about barriers to sharing problems at home and how staff are supported by SLT and JS as the CP officer if a situation arises.

ACTION (4) - JS to send the slides to BA for onward circulation to the governors

ACTION (5) - BA to add all attendees to the governor training record

ACTION (6) - Prevent toolkit and child protection policy to be reviewed in Autumn 2015 (JS/BA)

New Governor’s Website

SS provided an overview of the new governor website – this will be accessed via the main school website, but will only be accessible with a username and password. The structure, layout and content were all discussed. Key points were:-

-        Policies, and the management of policies, will be included on the website and BA will take this on from JW.

-        Confidential minutes (from Pay Committees and regarding HT performance management) will not be put on the website, and will be kept separate as they are now.

-        All governors will receive individual usernames and passwords.

-        Governors discussed how the new system could be used to support them, and queried whether a guest user could be given a log on.

AOB

A governor asked about meeting dates for the next academic year – these will be discussed in the meeting on 16th July and will be circulated to all governors once confirmed. ACTION (7) BA to send out dates once confirmed.

Meeting ended at 2.30pm

Summary of Actions

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Ensure the language on the HT’s Performance Management plan and subsequent review documents match the new language as per the new curriculum

JS/SS

2

Collate all comments received from governors, and circulate the Review of the Year summary

BA

3

Collate all comments of good/even better if ready for discussion at meeting on 16th July

BA

4

Send the slides from the Child Protection session to Becky, for circulation to the governors

JS/BA

5

Add all attendees to the governor training record

BA

6

The Prevent Toolkit, and Child Protection Policy to be reviewed in the Autumn Term 2015.

JS/BA

7

Advise governors of meeting dates for 2015/16 academic year

BA

FGB Agenda 2nd July 2015

Meeting of the Full Governing Body will take place in school on Thursday 2nd July – the meeting still start at 9.30am. 

First meeting of core membership of the new GB following reconstitution, a new Instrument of Government came into effect on 1st July 2015.

Agenda  Max Time Lead

1.       Apologies for absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interests  2 mins JW

2.       Reconstitution of Governing Body 10 mins BA

-          Core membership to appoint Co-Opted governors

-          New Instrument of Government approved by WSCC

3.       Approval of Minutes from 25th March 2015 2 mins JW

4.       Matters arising from meeting on 25th March 2015 10 mins JW

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Obtain updated Spring Term visit form from IH following his visit to Year 4

BA

2

Send Summer Term monitoring visit template to all governors along with a reminder for visits to be booked in.

BA

3

Put a copy of the Spring Term overview paperwork into the Governor visit folder.

BA

4

Finalise policies as approved in the meeting, and send to the school office.

BA

5

Confirm how many of the Core governors are required to be present in order to be quorate for the FGB in July

BA

6

Prepare new instrument of government following agreement to new Reconstitution model and send to WSCC

BA

7

Inform School Office and governors that the FGB in July is proposed for Thursday 2nd July

BA

8

Discuss structure of the day for FGB in July

JW/SS/MR/JS

5.       Reporting to the Governing Body   

a)      To receive the report from the Head Teacher and discuss   15 mins  JS

-          Please read the report before the meeting and raise questions beforehand.

b)      Link Governor Report – update to be given in the meeting 5 mins WM

6.       Governor Visits and Individual Reports   15 mins   GK/All

-          Receive reports from Summer Term; monitoring focus:

Greater engagement with hard to reach parents

-          Feedback from time in class this morning re engagement of pupils 

7.       SIP 14/15 review of the year   15 mins   All

How has the SIP been used this year? How have we monitored the priorities? What impact has been had? How are priorities decided? What could priorities for 15/16 be focussed on? 

8.       Confirm HT PM panel for 15/16  10 mins   JW 

9.       To discuss procedure for Heatwave alert part of Emergency Plan     5 mins    JS/JW

(Emergency Plan was ratified on 6/11/14) 

10.   Policies   10 mins     JW

a)      General Complaints to School policy – to agree and adopt           

b)      How to deal with Complaints within your own GB procedures - to discuss and adopt

11.   Training and Development   5 mins  JW/WM

12.   AOB

Date of next meeting:

Thursday 17th September 2015, 7pm – Housekeeping Meeting

FGB Minutes 25th March 2015

CASTLEWOOD PRIMARY SCHOOL GOVERNING BODY

Full Governing Body

Meeting Minutes – Wednesday 25th March 2015

Present: Chair: Julie Wallace (JW), Vice Chair: Sarah Speed (SS), Gillian Knight (GK), Nicki Brown (NB), Clare Quinlisk (CQ), Andy Guy (AG), Chris Noble (CN), Maria Roberts (MR), Julia Slocombe (JS)

Clerk: Becky Atkinson (BA)

Meeting Commenced: 7pm

 

1: Apologies for Absence and Declaration of Pecuniary Interest

Apologies for absence were received from Mary Page and Wendy Mason. No apologies were received from Ian Howard. The governors present accepted these. No pecuniary interests noted.

 2: Approval of Minutes from 4th Dec 2014

All Governors present approved the minutes of the Full Governors meeting held on 4th December 2014. 

All Governors required approved the Private & Confidential minutes from the Full Governors meeting held on 4th December 2014.

3: Matters arising from meeting on 4th Dec 2014

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

a)

Invite Yr R teacher (Miss Allan) to Autumn Term meeting to discuss the 17 goals that are used for EYFS assessment – Carry forward to Spring Term Q&SACTIONED 22/1/15

MR/JS

b)

Confirm questions regarding Reconstitution: -

- Is it 9 or 12 minimum size if 3 staff governors?

- Discuss options with County regarding all Co-Opted governors having the same end of Term of Office date

- Parent Governors who are moving into a Co-Opted role; does a vote need to take place?

- Governors to confirm to BA if they are attending the John Yates talk on Reconstitution being held

- Core membership, as this is a minimum of 7 could we therefore have all 13 as core members?

Actioned - On Agenda tonight

BA

c)

Ask JG/County for guidance regarding different models and options for Chair and VC positions

Actioned - Succession Planning on the Agenda tonight

BA

d)

Complete Monitoring Visit form following recent visit to Yr 5

Actioned

RG

e)

Remove section as discussed from the General Complaints to School policy

Actioned

BA

4: Reporting to the Governing Body;

i)             Head Teacher report

Ahead of the meeting, governors had been asked to raise questions regarding the HT report which had been circulated. JS took each question in turn and responded accordingly. Key areas were: -

-       JS advised that one of the successes of the school’s focus on monitoring regular reading at home is that expectations have been raised in terms of what the school expects. Sessions have been carried out to support parents, including modelling how to read with your child at home.   

-       The school is heavily focused on moving pupils forward in order to raise their individual achievements. Additional SPAG lessons have been provided as data showed that middle attainers did less well in L5 SPAG test.

-       Governors asked why there appeared to be a dip in attendance for Spring 2015.JS talked through attendance and sickness levels and provided comparisons to the same period for previous years.   

-       JS conducted the lesson observations for the Spring Term with the focus on English. When asked about any external involvement, JS responded that another Head Teacher from the Locality is going to observe next term with JS doing the same at their school.

-       JS provided handouts in response to a question raised regarding the monitoring of planning and marking. A discussion was held about how these were used and how books are monitored across the school.The governors agreed that the pro-formas that were provided display excellent rigour of the process.

-       In response to a question raised regarding the number of pupils in Reception (22), (which is due to a low birth rate in the locality for the year), a discussion followed regarding future predictions, and pupil numbers in Southwater schools generally. 

-       A governor had noticed a variation in the number of PP children monitored for attendance versus data/progress – and JS advised that attendance is tracking ‘current’ PP rather than the ‘forever 6’.

-       A discussion followed regarding the recent visits undertaken by Castlewood teachers to another Locality school, and plans for a similar activity in the next academic year. The governors discussed which schools might be beneficial for staff to visit and learn from. Governors felt it was useful for staff to see different approaches to education, see what works well and discuss ideas for ‘even better if’ at Castlewood.

-        

ii)            Link Governor report

 

-       Wendy Mason has recently agreed to become the Link Governor replacing Rev’d Godfrey who stepped down from his governor role last month. WM was not present at this meeting as she was attending her Link Governor training. An update will be provided at the next FGB.  Governors were reminded to book on to courses for their own CPD.

iii)          Governor Visits and individual reports

-       JW thanked GK for her recent summary of the Governor Visits for the Spring Term which gave a very comprehensive overview of the area focussed on this term related to the SIP for 14-15.

‘Teaching and Learning: increasingly moving from good to outstanding to achieve 100% good or better 75% good with outstanding features.’

-       It was noted that the form completed by IH following his visit was not properly documented or saved electronically; BA will chase IH for a completed copy.ACTION

-       GK advised that the Spring Term visits went well.

-       There is a gap for the Year 5 visit following RG leaving, CQ kindly agreed to conduct this visit for the Summer Term, with GK completing the Yr 6 visit.

-       GK requested that the Summer Term template is sent to all governors along with a reminder for visits to be booked in – ACTION: BA to send Summer term visit pro forma to all governors.

-       ACTION: BA to put Spring Term overview paperwork into the Governor visit folder.

The Governing Body agreed to move to Agenda Item 7, as SS had been delayed.

7: Regional School Commissioners (RSC)

JS started by asking the governors what they knew about Regional School Commissioners. She went on to advise that 8 had been appointed, with 1 RSC being assigned to the South East and South London. A good discussion followed regarding these appointments, and possible implications longer term on the role of the LA in respect of academies, free schools and maintained schools. This led to a discussion regarding a potential new secondary school in Southwater/Horsham.

8: Policies for approval;

i)             Confidentiality. Decision -the policy was approved.

ii)            Governors Code of Practice policy, red wording to be removed.Decision -the policy was approved.

iii)          Equalities Policy, some dates have been amended. The governors queried if the key objectiveswere still relevant, JS confirmed they were.Decision -the policy was approved.

ACTION: BA to finalise policies and send to the school office.

9: New Governor Handbook

JW advised that a new version of the Governors Handbook has recently been sent to all governors via email. Attention was drawn to the main changes that are mentioned in the appendix.

10: Proposed Staffing Structure 15-16

JS advised that there are no changes expected to the staffing structure for 2015/16. The governors asked about teachers currently on Maternity Leave; Lauren Brown is due to return in July, and Becky Lucas is still on maternity leave also.

11: Training and Development

MR recently ran the Locality Training session (Raising the Achievement of Disadvantaged Children) which was attended by governors from Locality schools, as well as several Castlewood governors; JS, JW, SS, CQ, WM and NB. Discussion followed regarding the course, how important it is that schools use pupil premium money to overcome barriers to learning and that schools are held to account with the impact that the spending has had on the pupils.

JS, JW, SS and MR also attended the John Yates Leadership Sessionwhere head teachers and governors discussed the changes to education and the challenges currently facing schools. Attendees found it extremely useful.  JS attended an Assessment morning with other heads and representatives from other localities. A discussion followed regarding the changes to assessment, which is still relatively unclear.

12: AOB

No items raised under AOB.

The governors were asked to complete and hand in the relevant annual forms regarding Code of Conduct, Membership of the GB and Declarations of Business and Pecuniary Interests.

The Governing Body then returned to the earlier agenda items:

5: Reconstitution of Governing Body

JW talked through the changes to the proposal following the last meeting. Governors had a robust conversation regarding the new instrument and the skill set of the current GB.  Governors reviewed the papers and discussed the core and co-opted membership.  Decision – the Governors approved the new Instrument of Government in respect of the Reconstitution. 

A governor raised a question regarding how many of the ‘Core’ governors are required to be present in order to be quorate at the FGB meeting in July when the governing body will co-opt other governors. ACTION - BA to confirm   

ACTION - BA will prepare the new Instrument and send this to WSCC for approval along with these minutes

A discussion followed regarding the FGB meeting in July, it was noted that the proposed date of Friday 3rd July clashes with District Sports, and it was therefore proposed that the meeting be moved to Thursday 2nd July instead.

All governors to be aware that the FGB in July has been moved to 2nd July, BA will advise all of the governors and the school office – Action

A discussion followed regarding the structure of the day – JW to discuss with MR, SS and JS – Action

JW advised that there is still a vacancy for a Community Governor to replace Rev’d Godfrey, JW is making enquiries.

6. Succession Planning

SS provided an update regarding progress made following completion of the recent Governor Skills Audit, and the preferences that governors were asked to indicate regarding potential roles they might be interested in. This is in line with JW stepping down as Chair at the end of this academic year. 

SS advised that the following new positions have been suggested; these positions will follow the due process for nominations and elections at the Housekeeping meeting in September: - 

 

Resources Committee

Chair – Nicki Brown

Vice Chair – Clare Quinlisk

 

Full Governing Body

Chair – Sarah Speed

Vice Chair – Discussions being held

 

Q&S Committee

Unchanged

  

Meeting ended at 8.30pm 

 

Dates for Next Meetings: -

 

30th April – 7pm Resources Committee

7th May – 7pm Q&S Committee

11th June – 7pm Resources Committee

18th June  - 7pm Q&S Committee

Thursday 2nd July – start time TBC, Full Governing Body Board Day in school

  

Summary of Actions

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Obtain updated Spring Term visit form from IH following his visit to Year 4

BA

2

Send Summer Term monitoring visit template to all governors along with a reminder for visits to be booked in.

BA

3

Put a copy of the Spring Term overview paperwork into the Governor visit folder.

BA

4

Finalise policies as approved in the meeting, and send to the school office.

BA

5

Confirm how many of the Core governors are required to be present in order to be quorate for the FGB in July

BA

6

Prepare new instrument of government following agreement to new Reconstitution model and send to WSCC

BA

7

Inform School Office and governors that the FGB in July is proposed for Thursday 2nd July

BA

8

Discuss structure of the day for FGB in July

JW/SS/MR/JS

FGB Agenda 4th December 2014

Castlewood School Governing Body                            

Castlewood Road, Southwester, West Sussex, RH13 9US, Telephone: 01403 734822, Fax: 01403 734978 http://www.castlewood.w-sussex.sch.uk

Chair: Julie Wallace. Vice Chair:  Sarah Speed 

 

Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

AGENDA  

Full Governors Meeting

4th December 2014

7.00pm

Max time lead

  1. Apologies for absence and declarations of pecuniary interest  5 mins JW
  2. Approval of Full Governing Body minutes from 4th July 2014 (attached) 2 mins JW
  3. Matters arising from Full Governing Body minutes 4th July 2014 10 mins JW

Overview on sports premium on the website in late March/early April 2014 – pending, due for July 2014 due to pressures in school office

JS is info current?

Reasonable force training session (refresher for staff) - trying to re-book for Autumn Term.

JS

Let all staff know Sue Bryan is contact for confidential reporting

JS

Review TOR wording for Resources re financial responsibilities (in line with full review of all TORs taking place)

JW/SS/BA

ACTIONED RESOURCES OCT 14

Invite Yr R teacher (Miss Allan) to Autumn Term meeting to discuss the 17 goals that are used for EYFS assessment

JW/JS

SPRING TERM

Send electronic booklet of training for the new academic year, to all Governors

BA

ACTIONED

Look at the Monitoring Visits process, in particular the completion of the form post visit to see if this can be made easier for the Governors.

GK/JW

ACTIONED

Prepare a summary sheet of the monitoring visits

GK

SIP 14/15 to be discussed Autumn 14 in committee meetings

SS/MR

ACTIONED

Confirm how voting can take place if governors are not present at the new Housekeeping Meeting

BA

ACTIONED

Liaise over the date for the new Housekeeping Meeting

JW/JS

ACTIONED

Discuss with Mary Page re the HT PM Panel, and the meetings/time that will be required

SS/GK

ACTIONED

4. Reconstitution of governing body by Sept 2015 30 mins JW/SS/BA Inc succession planning 

5. Update on Teaching Schools 15 mins JS/JW/SS

6. Discuss multi academy trust 15 mins JS                   

7. Reporting to the Governing Body

a)To receive the report from the Head teacher and discuss.  Please read before the meeting and prepare any questions.(attached) 15 mins JS

b)    To receive the safeguarding report (attached) 5 mins JS

c)     Link governor report - verbal update to be given at the meeting

d)    Governor visits and individual reports.  Feedback from visits this term    15 mins             all Any governor can report back           

8: Staffing update 5 mins JS

9: Policies: (attached) 10 mins JW/MP

a)     To accept the reviewed General Complaints to School policy                                                 

b)    To accept Staff and Governor Rights and Responsibilities document

c)     To approve the Medicines Policy (already reviewed and agreed by the Policies Panel)       

10: Governors Training and development 5 mins all

11: AOB 2 mins all

Staff governors may go home 

12:  Head Teacher Performance Management 15 mins GK/SS

Report to the Governing Body on Head Teacher performance management

Dates of Next Meetings

Castlewood Christmas Performances – Tues 9th, Weds 10th and Thurs 11th December (all at 1.45pm)

Resources meeting – Thursday 15th January 2015 at 7pm

Q&S meeting – Thursday 22nd January 2015 at 7pm

 

 

 

Priorities 2014-2015 

Raise standards in English - 100% of able pupil make expected progress and 45% make more than expected progress

Teaching and Learning increasingly moving from Good to Outstanding

Greater engagement with hard to reach parents

FGB Minutes 4th December 2014

CASTLEWOOD PRIMARY SCHOOL GOVERNING BODY

Full Governing Body

Meeting Minutes – Thursday 4th December 2014

Present: Chair: Julie Wallace (JW), Vice Chair: Sarah Speed (SS), Gillian Knight (GK), Nicki Brown (NB), Clare Quinlisk (CQ), Ian Howard (IH), Rev’d Godfrey (RG), Andy Guy (AG), Chris Noble (CN), Wendy Mason (WM), Maria Roberts (MR), Julia Slocombe (JS)

Clerk: Becky Atkinson (BA)

Meeting Commenced: 7pm

1: Apologies for Absence and Declaration of Pecuniary Interest

Apologies for absence were received from Mary Page and the governors present accepted these. No pecuniary interests noted.

Introductions were made for CQ and CN to IH.

2: Approval of Minutes from 4th July 2014

All Governors present approved the minutes of the Full Governors meeting held on 4th July 2014.

3: Matters arising from meeting on 4th July 2014

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Overview on sports premium on the website in late March/early April 2014 – pending, due for July 2014 due to pressures in school office – In Progress; was up to date as at last academic year. JS advised we should wait until this year’s money has been spent and then provide further update on the website. ACTIONED.

JS

2

Reasonable force training session (refresher for staff) - trying to re-book for Autumn Term. ACTIONED – 2 members of staff are due to attend training in March 2015.

JS

3

Let all staff know Sue Bryan is contact for confidential reporting - ACTIONED

JS

4

Review TOR wording for Resources re financial responsibilities (in line with full review of all TORs taking place) - ACTIONED

JW/SS/BA

5

Invite Yr R teacher (Miss Allan) to Autumn Term meeting to discuss the 17 goals that are used for EYFS assessment – Carry forward to Spring Term Q&S ACTION

JW/JS

6

Send electronic booklet of training for the new academic year, to all Governors - ACTIONED

BA

7

Look at the Monitoring Visits process, in particular the completion of the form post visit to see if this can be made easier for the Governors. ACTIONED

GK/JW

8

Prepare a summary sheet of the monitoring visits – ACTIONED

GK

9

SIP 14/15 to be discussed Autumn 14 in committee meetings - ACTIONED

SS/MR

10

Confirm how voting can take place if governors are not present at the new Housekeeping Meeting - ACTIONED

BA

11

Liaise over the date for the new Housekeeping Meeting - ACTIONED

JW/JS

12

Discuss with Mary Page re the HT PM Panel, and the meetings/time that will be required - ACTIONED

SS/GK

4: Reconstitution of Governing Body, including succession planning

 

Handout provided

 

JW talked through a slide presentation that provided a recap on the background to Reconstitution, and the implications for the Governing Body of Castlewood. A lengthy discussion followed, with the governors asking a variety of questions regarding the Reconstitution, summarised here:-

 

-       Is it 9 or 12 as a minimum size if we have 3 staff governors? BA to confirm – ACTION

-       JW asked if 13 felt OK for the GB, thereby a reduction of 1 governor, which is currently a vacant position. Another governor asked if we had the flexibility to reconstitute again in the future if we felt the membership number of governors wasn’t right? JW confirmed yes.

-       There was a discussion about adding Associate Members if needed in the future.

-       It was pointed out that CQ is a LA governor, and not Community as stated on the slides.

-       A discussion was held regarding the Term of Office and the fact that we could end up with a situation where the majority of governors have the same end of term date once they have become Co-Opted governors. BA to confirm this with County, and consider options for avoiding this – ACTION

-       A governor asked why are all GBs having to reconstitute – a response followed.

-       A governor asked if parents have to re-elect parent governors who are moving into a Co-Opted governor role – the general feeling was no, elections would not need to take place but BA to confirm - ACTION

-       JS talked about a recent John Yates Leadership event that she attended whereby Reconstitution was discussed. JS advised that John Yates was happy to hold a talk for governors regarding Reconstitution – this has been arranged at Southwater Infant Academy, on Tuesday 10th Feb 2015 from 2.45pm – 4.15pm. All governors are welcome to attend if they wish to do so. Governors to confirm to BA in Spring Term if they are attending - ACTION

-       A question was raised regarding the ‘core membership’, which says a minimum of 7 governors can be included – as this is a minimum, could we therefore have all 13 governors as our core membership? BA to confirm

 

The discussion then led onto succession planning, and SS discussed with the governors the need to think ahead given that JW will not be standing again as Chair for the next academic year. A good discussion followed regarding this – key points were:-

 

-       The governors discussed different models for Chairs and Vice Chairs,

-       Options for communicating between Chair and HT (i.e. this does not have to be Face to Face),

-       There is a course titled Taking the Chair which any governor can attend to understand more about the role (but you are not then committed to do the role),

-       Our current skills base and the need for a skills audit,

-       The need to have greater delegation across all governors so that everyone shares the load as it was recognised and appreciated that our current Chair, JW, does a great deal of work.

 

BA will ask WSCC (Jackie Gatenby) for guidance regarding any other options/models for Chair and Vice Chair positions.  ACTION

 

 

5:  Update on Teaching Schools

 

JS provided an update regarding the proposal to join a new Teaching Alliance with SIA, SJA, Trafalgar, St. Mary’s and Arunside. Given that this proposal had already been recently discussed at the Q&S Committee meeting in November, JS provided a brief background for those governors not present at that meeting. 

 

The governors recognise the need for schools to align themselves closer together, and are supportive of the HT’s proposals.

 

A governor asked whether Tanbridge House School would join but JS advised that their plans are not yet known.

 

SIA will be submitting an application in January 2015 – the governors asked when we will know if it has been successful. JS advised that as there are not many Teaching Schools in this area, it was hopeful that our application would be successful. Timescales for a decision are not yet known but the Governors will be kept updated accordingly.

 

 

6. Discuss Multi Academy Trust

 

JS provided an update following a recent meeting held between SIA, SJA and Castlewood – the meeting was initiated by the Academies and was concerning a move to becoming an Academy Trust.

 

A robustdiscussion was had amongst the governors regarding Academies and their success. It was felt that Castlewood is working well as a community school, and the decision to convert to academy is still under review.  There was no appetite or strategic reasonin moving to an academy at this stage.

 

A discussion followed regarding political versus educational reasons to become an academy, about sponsored academies and areas where academies are not successful.

 

7: Reporting to the Governing Body

Handout provided

a) The Heads Report had been provided to the governors prior to the meeting, and the governors had been asked to raise any questions or comments beforehand. JS discussed each point/question in turn; key points were:-

-       Miss Allan’s MA is in Education (Mathematics, Pre-School to Secondary). It is being part funded by the school in as much as the school are allowing Miss Allan to take time off to attend university, and therefore the cover is funded.

-       A discussion was held regarding the low intake numbers in Reception of 22 – JS advised the Southwater is lower than the rest of Horsham currently. The governors discussed projections and how County project intake numbers for the future.

-       A question had been raised regarding the comparison between boys and girls and their achievements. JS advised that the school chooses topics to ensure boys are engaged and interested, such as Dinosaurs, in order to bridge the gap.

-       JS explained the Attendance figures for FSM; medical conditions have been the reason for the high absence.

-       JS has carried out the formal observations herself.

-       There was a good uptake of recent workshops – in the KS2 Maths workshop, 30 parents were expected but 47 attended. JS is going to canvass opinion of parents as to the best time for workshops to be held.

-       Weekly team meetings have been useful and feedback from the staff is positive.

-       Swimming update – JS advised that the Sports Premium funds have been used to provide free swimming for Yr 3 children. The aim is that no child should reach Yr 6 without being able to swim.

-       JS confirmed that she is completing all of the Performance Management for staff. There may be an opportunity for Mrs Dedman to support this in the Spring Term.

b) Safeguarding Report – JS talked through this. A discussion followed regarding the Safer Recruitment Training.

c) RG provided a Link Governor update.

d) The governors provided updates on their Monitoring Visits for this term:-

- NB is booked to visit next Thursday.

- IH has visited Yr 4, and he provided feedback following this visit.

- RG has completed a visit to Yr 5 with CN – RG is aware that he still needs to complete his form following this visit – ACTION

GK asked the governors if the updated form was useful, and they confirmed it was.

GK and CQ are due to visit Yr 6, but with the recent staff changes, they will book their visit for the Spring Term.

8: Staffing Update

JS was pleased to report that the school’s staffing is at its full complement. JS praised the way in which Mrs Anstee-Brown and Mrs Burchett are conducting their handovers.

JS thanked Mrs A-B for her hard work, and CN for the Maths Workshops.

9: Policies

The governors approved the following policies:-

-       General Complaints to School – there is a section to remove, BA will action this.

-       Staff & Governor Rights and Responsibilities

-       Medicines Policy(supporting children with medical conditions)

10: Training and Development

SS and NB attended the Locality training session – Ensuring the future strategic leadership of the school.

GK, WM and JW have attended the Locality training session – Developing Good Practice in Self Evaluation.

RG has attended a Link Governor Liaison Meeting.

IH has completed an online Safeguarding Children course.

CQ is due to attend her Governor Induction training on 13th Jan 2015.

11: AOB

GK asked whether a letter has been sent to parents regarding Topics that the children will study – JS advised that this information is on the website under Curriculum. GK offered her help (and resources) with any topics as necessary. JS thanked GK for this offer. 

Staff Governors left the meeting, and JS left the room whilst the remaining governors discussed the HT Performance Management – documented as Confidential Minutes separately. 

Meeting ended at 9.10pm

Dates for Next Meetings:- 

Resources Meeting – Thursday 15th January 2015 - 7pm

Q&S meeting – Thursday 22nd January 2015 – 7pm

 

Summary of Actions

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Invite Yr R teacher (Miss Allan) to Autumn Term meeting to discuss the 17 goals that are used for EYFS assessment – Carry forward to Spring Term Q&S

MR/JS

2

Confirm questions regarding Reconstitution:-

- Is it 9 or 12 minimum size if 3 staff governors?

- Discuss options with County regarding all Co-Opted governors having the same end of Term of Office date

- Parent Governors who are moving into a Co-Opted role; does a vote need to take place?

- Governors to confirm to BA if they are attending the John Yates talk on Reconstitution being held

- Core membership, as this is a minimum of 7 could we therefore have all 13 as core members?

-

BA

3

Ask JG/County for guidance regarding different models and options for Chair and VC positions

BA

4

Complete Monitoring Visit form following recent visit to Yr 5

RG

5

Remove section as discussed from the General Complaints to School policy

BA

Member Login
Welcome, (First Name)!

Forgot? Show
Log In
Enter Member Area
My Profile Log Out