Sentry Page Protection

FGB Minutes 3rd Dec 2015

Castlewood School Governing Body                            

Castlewood Road, Southwester, West Sussex, RH13 9US, Telephone: 01403 734822, Fax: 01403 734978 http://www.castlewood.w-sussex.sch.uk

Chair: Sarah Speed Vice Chair:  Mary Page

 

Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

Full Governing Body – Meeting Minutes

Thursday 3rd December 2015 – 7pm

 

Present:Sarah Speed (SS), Gillian Knight (GK), Nicki Brown (NB), Clare Quinlisk (CQ), Julia Slocombe (JS), Mary Page (MP), Ian Howard (IH), Wendy Mason (WM), Julie Wallace (JW), Lauren Brown (LB), Georgina Allan (GA), Andy Guy (AG)

Clerk: Becky Atkinson (BA)

Meeting Commenced: 7pm

                                                                                                                                                                 

1.     Apologies for absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interests

Apologies were received from Maria Roberts - the governors accepted these. No pecuniary interests were advised or noted.      

2.     Approval of Minutes from 2nd July 2015 (part 1 and part 2)   

The governors approved the minutes of the Full Governors meeting held on 2nd July 2015.                     

3.     Matters arising from meeting on 2nd July 2015           

Part 1

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

a) Confirm how many families would have been affected by a possible fine for unauthorised absence – for discussion at Resources in the Autumn Term.

b) Draft a paragraph to be included in a future school newsletter to advise parents that the governing body are considering fines for unauthorised absence.

c) Discuss Absence at the next West Horsham heads meeting to see what procedures are in place in other local schools.

ACTIONED - Topic is on the agenda for this meeting.

JS

2

Ensure unauthorised absence and fines is on the agenda for Resources in the Autumn term, with a view to making a final decision at FGB in Dec 2015. ACTIONED

BA

3

Provide governors with a full list of training courses available ACTIONED

WM/BA

4

As of Sept 2015, governors should use the training and development section of the meetings to discuss upcoming courses /CPD requirements for governors. ONGOING, ACTIONED

WM/BA

5

Ensure that HT Performance Management panel is on the agenda for Resources (Autumn Term), a governor is needed to replace GK, and will join SS and MP on the new panel for 15/16. ACTIONED – CQ is joining the panel.

BA

6

Tidy up the 3 policies and send to the school office. Let the office know the new review dates and that ‘Complaints within the GB’ is a new policy (BA). ACTIONED

BA

7

Update the Training Plan with recent training completed, and provide WM with a copy of the latest version. ACTIONED

BA

Part 2

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Ensure the language on the HT’s Performance Management plan and subsequent review documents match the new language as per the new curriculum ACTIONED

JS/SS

2

Collate all comments received from governors, and circulate the Review of the Year summary ACTIONED

BA

3

Collate all comments of good/even better if ready for discussion at meeting on 16th July ACTIONED

BA

4

Send the slides from the Child Protection session to Becky, for circulation to the governors ACTIONED

JS/BA

5

Add all attendees to the governor training record ACTIONED

BA

6

The Prevent Toolkit, and Child Protection Policy to be reviewed in the Autumn Term 2015. ACTIONED

JS/BA

7

Advise governors of meeting dates for 2015/16 academic year ACTIONED

BA

4.     Matters arising from Housekeeping Meeting 17th Sep 2015

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

- Confirm who sits on FGB as the Staff Governor

- Confirm with WSCC about GA becoming an Associate Member if we assume LB sits on FGB.

ACTIONED

JS

BA

2

Consider whether there are any policies that could be reviewed/approved during 2016 Housekeeping Meeting

ONGOING, BA/SS will pick this up in the Summer Term ACTION (1)

BA/SS

3

Confirm the Prevent Training that is available for governors ACTIONED

BA

4

Contact CQ and ask if she would like to be on the HT PM panel ACTIONED

BA

5

Discuss Policy Working Group with GK. ACTIONED – MP will head up the Policies Working Group, working with Sue Barnard. Gillian has offered to help Mary as required.

BA

6

Circulate updated meeting dates for 2015/16 ACTIONED

BA

7

Discuss SIP and Monitoring at next Q&S ACTIONED

MR/BA

8

Discuss Parent Elections for Oct/Nov 2015, with the school office ACTIONED

BA

9

Provide email log ins for each governor, for access to the website ACTIONED

BA

10

Ensure a summary of terminology, particularly regarding data is uploaded onto the website Not yet completed, BA will obtain terminology from MR and load onto website. ACTION (2)

BA

5.     Election of Georgina Allan as Associate Member

A discussion was held regarding the duties of an Associate Member. It was confirmed that GA will sit on the Resources Committee with voting rights (but AM’s cannot be included in the quorum), and GA is able to attend FGB meetings but as an AM is unable to vote.

 

The Governors voted, and GA is elected as an Associate Member with a 4 year term. (DECISION)

 

6.     Reporting to the Governing Body     

a)     Head Teacher’s report

The governors had been asked to read the HT report prior to the meeting, and raise questions accordingly. JS proceeded to respond to the questions raised. Key points are summarised below:-

-      Autumn Term Observations. There was no particular aspect of Maths observed, just whatever was on the plan for the particular day that the observations were carried out. A day was chosen, rather than the subject. An external validation will be carried out, with another Primary School Headteacher.

-      All teachers have been observed this term; the format is the same, based on the Ofsted framework. All teachers have areas of development, even if they are Good/Outstanding, JS advised that actions/next steps are always identified.

-      A discussion followed about Kiva. JS informed the governors about this organisation and how it is supporting children in schools to work with them. The governors were very interested in this programme, and JS provided some excellent feedback regarding how pupils have responded to being part of this initiative. Two pupils from Castlewood attended a presentation at Tanbridge.

-      Following PC Beckley’s visit, there is information on the school website regarding online safety and cyber bullying.

-      A discussion followed regarding attendance; the change from 85% to 90% monitoring is a national change.

 

The governors asked about Peer Monitoring, and JS provided an update on this;

-      It is free, WSCC are paying for it.

-      Salus is the organisation that is providing the training and support for the children.

-      There is a menu of training available, the initiative Castlewood are involved in is based on the Friendship Buddy section.

-      The target age is currently Year 5 children becoming involved in the Spring Term with the aim to continue the benefit into Year 6.

-      A good discussion followed regarding this scheme, and the governors were interested in hearing more about it. ACTION (3) JS to provide an update at FGB in March.

 

A governor asked about the strengths and even better ifs that staff had been asked to review from July’s HT report. JS gave an update on this, a handout was provided. A discussion followed.

 

b)     Safeguarding and Child Protection annual report

JS advised that the system has recently changed. The report is completed and submitted online, but is unable to be printed. Once submitted, you cannot view the report. JS has requested a report from WSCC, and will provide a further update at the next Committee meetings in January 2016. ACTION (4)

 

c)     Link Governor Report

WM discussed the range of training courses available, and highlighted the new Ofsted series of courses, for the governors to consider. These are in the Spring Term, there are 6 of them, and they are each 3 hours long. ACTION (5) WM will email a list of the dates and content of these courses to all governors. The governors asked if the content was something that MR could deliver to the governors.

 

A discussion followed regarding the Locality training courses, of which there is now a charge direct to the school.

 

JS advised that there is a training session (1 hour) being held at Arunside at 6.30pm on 19th January 2016, regarding Early Help/Holistix (replaces the CAF system) and the different levels of intervention. Two governors are able to attend from each of the Locality schools.

ACTION (6) BA to email all of the governors regarding this, and let Shelley Baker know of our attendees.

 

d)     Governor visits

GK provided an update on governors visits to school for this term, key points to note are:-

-      All 3 monitoring groups have been covered.

-      JW talked about her visits to Year R and how she had to adapt some of the questions on the pro-forma to suit the age of the children.

-      GK visited Year 5, who were doing a Maths lesson – it was noted that the children were able to refer back to previous work they had done and link the two.

-      The use of the green pen is still working well.

-      The governors discussed the use of ‘jargon’ and the need to ensure that words are not used that the children would not understand.

-      NB, as part of the Planning, Tracking and Monitoring team, visited Mrs Brown and Mrs Dedman. They reviewed the excel spreadsheet, and the process to populate and update this.

-      NB also commented that the behaviour of the children who participate in the after school Cross Country Club is very good.

-      CQ provided feedback from the Open Morning for new parents that she attended as a parent; the behaviour, maturity and confidence of the pupils was excellent.

-      SS visited Year 3, looking at the Teaching and Curriculum aspect of the monitoring. A discussion followed regarding different ability groups, intervention groups and the need to slow down and pause if some children are not keeping pace.

-      It was agreed that the work of the TA is fundamental, and the governors can see this on their visits.

 

The governors moved on to discuss monitoring visits for the Spring Term, and who was going to visit which year group.

Teaching & Curriculum Team

Pupil Contact Team

Planning, Tracking & Monitoring Team

Ian – Year 6

Nicki – Year 4

Gillian – Year 3

Mary – Year 2

Sarah – Year 1

Clare – Year 5

Andy – Year R

ACTION (7) – GK will send BA the Spring Term templates, and BA will email out to the governors with a reminder of who is going where.

 

7.     Staffing Update

JS advised that there is no change; they are recruiting to cover Mrs Magwidi’s maternity leave.

 

8.     Governor vacancies and recruitment

It was confirmed that JW would leave the governing body in January, so the Committee meetings being held on 14th January will be her last meetings. A discussion followed regarding a new Parent Governor, along with the vacant Co-Opted Community governor.

 

We will ask for nominations for a new parent governor in January, and reference to this will also be made in the next Governor’s newsletter that will be sent in January. The governors discussed the skills that would be useful to have; such as Financial, a link to local businesses or communities, as well as time commitment.

 

9.     Unauthorised absence from school and fines

JS confirmed that currently there is no primary school in the Locality opting to fine parents for unauthorised absence. The governors agreed to monitor the situation, and deal with persistent unauthorised absence accordingly, and as necessary.

 

10.  Policies

The Staff and Governor Rights and Responsibilities document was approved – (DECISION).

 

11.  Governors Training and Development

Governors have complete the following training:-

-      CQ has undertaken the Headteacher Appraisal and Capability training, available via the GEL.

-      JS has completed Prevent Training, and Early Help/Think Family training.

-      LB has completed Child Protection and Safeguarding training.

-      An update was provided on the Prevent Training that all governors were required to complete.

ACTION (8) – BA to remind CQ and AG of the Prevent Training required. BA will update the Training Records with the training completed, as advised above.

 

12.  AOB

SS commented that ahead of JW leaving the governing body, a leaving do should be planned. The governors all agreed.

 Meeting ended at 8.45pm. Staff governors left the meeting, and the remaining governors stayed to discuss the Headteacher Performance Management, and Pay Committee decisions. The discussions are minuted as Confidential Part 2 minutes.

 

Date of next meeting:

Thursday 14th January 2016

7pm – Resources Committee

8pm – Q&S Committee

 

Thursday 3rd March 2016

7pm – Resources Committee

 

Thursday 10th March 2016

7pm – Q&S Committee

 

Wednesday 23rd March 2016

7pm – FGB meeting

 

Summary of Actions

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Diarise for the Summer Term, to confirm whether there are any policies that could be approved in the Housekeeping Meeting held in Sep 2016.

BA

2

Obtain data terminology/acronyms from MR, and induction terminology/acronyms from JW or WM, and load onto the governor’s website.

BA

3

Provide an update at the next FGB regarding the Peer Monitoring scheme (Salus) – via the HT report.

JS

4

JS has requested a report from WSCC re Safeguarding and CP, a further update will be provided at the next Committee meeting in Jan 16.

JS

5

Email a list of the dates and content of the new Ofsted training courses, to all governors, consider whether this is something that Maria could deliver to the Castlewood governors?

WM/MR

6

Email the governors re the Locality training at Arunside school and let Shelley Baker know of our attendees.

BA

7

GK will send BA the Spring Term monitoring visit templates, and BA will email out to the governors with a reminder of who is going where.

GK/BA

8

- Remind CQ and AG of the Prevent Training requirements.

- Update the Training Record with training completed.

BA

Member Login
Welcome, (First Name)!

Forgot? Show
Log In
Enter Member Area
My Profile Log Out