Q & S Agenda 16th June 2016

Castlewood School Governing Body

Quality and Standards Committee                                                    Castlewood Road

Chair:         Maria Roberts                                                                    Southwater

Vice Chair:  Andy Guy                                                                          West Sussex

                                                                                                                RH13 9US

                                                                                                                Telephone:             01403 734822

                                                                                                                Fax                          01403 734978

                                                                                    http://www.castlewood.w-sussex.sch.uk

 

Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

 

Q&S Committee Meeting - Thursday 16th June 2016 at 7pm

 

 

                                                                                                                                                Max Time               Lead

 

1.       Apologies for absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interests         2 mins                   MR

 

2.       Approval of minutes from previous meeting 21st April 2016                                2 mins                   MR

 

3.       Matters arising from previous meeting on 21st April 2016                     2 mins                   MR

 

 

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Consider producing a Venn diagram to show how many pupils sit within multiple groups (BME, SEN and PP). For Governors to view in July’s FGB.

JS

2

Update the SEF following the group session.

SS/MR

3

Ensure the Equality Policy is reviewed and approved in the Resources Meeting 28/4/16

BA

4

Send the two approved policies to the school office; Confidential Reporting, and Management of Allegations against Staff.

BA

5

Confirm with Jackie Gatenby (WSCC) the role of MR during the new Headteacher recruitment process.

BA

 

 

4.       Update on SATs                                                                                                        15 mins                JS

 

5.       Safeguarding – changes for Sep 16                                                                  10 mins                JS

 

6.       SEF                                                                                                                                 10 mins                All

 

7.       Teaching School Alliance                                                                                     10 mins                JS

 

8.       AOB                                                                                                                               5 mins                   All

 

 

 

Additional Meeting Papers provided:

 

1.       Previous meeting minutes (21st April 2016)

 

Dates of next meetings:

 

Thursday 14th July

9am - FGB (all day in school)

 

 

 

 

Priorities 2015/16

Embed tracking system

Enable Lower Ability pupils to accelerate

Raise parental expectation

 

 

What difference have we made to the school through what we have discussed today?

 

 

 

 

Q&S Minutes 10th March 2016

Castlewood School Governing Body                                      Castlewood Road

Chair:          Maria Roberts                                                                             Southwater

Vice Chair:  Andy Guy                                                                                    West Sussex

                                                                                                                              RH13 9US

                                                                                                                              Telephone:              01403 734822

                                                                                                                              Fax                             01403 734978

                                                                                    http://www.castlewood.w-sussex.sch.uk

 

Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

Q&S Committee Meeting Minutes

Thursday 10th March 2016

Present: Chair - Maria Roberts (MR), Sarah Speed (SS), Julia Slocombe (JS), Wendy Mason (WM), Lauren Brown (LB), Nicki Brown (NB), Mary Page (MP) and Clare Quinlisk (CQ).

Clerk: Becky Atkinson (BA)

Meeting Commenced: 7pm

                                                                       

1.     Apologies for absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interests

Apologies were received from Gillian Knight and Andy Guy; the governors approved these. No pecuniary interests were noted.                

 

2.     Approval of Minutes from previous meeting 14th January 2016

The minutes from the previous meeting were approved.

 

3.     Matters arising from previous meeting on 14th January 2016     

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

BA to check and confirm that the Complaints Policy is available on the school’s website. ACTIONED

BA

2

Following review of the pie charts generated from O-Track data, can the governors review other local school’s data to compare? And can SEN and Pupil Premium be shown on the pie charts? ACTIONED - Response below *

JS

3

Add a key to the spreadsheet data, so that governors can easily identify the measures and abbreviations. ACTIONED

JS

4

Prepare format and content for SEF Workshop to be held at the next Q&S meeting in March 2016. ACTIONED

MR/JS

* JS confirmed that it is not possible to compare other school’s data; it would be tricky to do this. JS will look to add SEN and PP info onto the pie charts.

 

 

 

 

4.     Ofsted/SEF - group session

 

MR introduced the session and asked the governors to think about what is the purpose of the session.

-      A discussion followed about the SEF – MR advised that some GBs help to write the SEF along with the Headteacher. A good involvement at governor level helps the governing body gain a thorough understanding of the SEF content.

-      MR asked the governors what are the Ofsted headings and sections? They are: -

1.     Effectiveness of Leadership and Management

2.     Quality of Teaching, Learning and Assessment

3.     Personal Development, Behaviour and Welfare

4.     Outcomes for Pupils

ACTION (1) – Confirm the governors know these headings at the next Q&S meeting. (ALL)

 

The Committee agreed to ensure that the Ofsted headings and language are used more regularly on documents, agendas, minutes, reports etc.

 

-      MR asked the governors further questions regarding completing the SEF; a good discussion followed about evidence and how this can be collected and recorded particularly for areas that are harder to assess.

-      The Committee also discussed how they could be sure that the information, data and evidence they look at are correct and valid.

 

The governors then split into four groups, and looked at each of the Ofsted headings with the aim to discuss and record evidence where Castlewood has demonstrated that it is achieving the standards required.

 

Effectiveness of Leadership and Management – MP & LB

Quality of Teaching, Learning and Assessment – NB & WM

Personal Development, Behaviour and Welfare – MR, SS & BA

Outcomes for Pupils – CQ & JS

 

Following this, a robust discussion was held – questions were raised such as;

-      Does Outstanding mean Outstanding every day?

-      Was the session useful?

-      Is the evidence recorded in the SEF?

-      Could we do more, e.g. asking the pupils questions?

-      How does the SEF works alongside the SIP?

 

A long discussion was held regarding Outstanding v Good judgement.

 

The Committee agreed that the outcome from this session would be a document that lists the Ofsted descriptors with our evidence alongside – it would be a working document, and will be reviewed, discussed and updated regularly.

ACTION (2) – BA to prepare the template and then the governors will populate the evidence as discussed in their groups. BA will collate all comments into one document.

 

A further discussion followed about the SEF document and how this should be taken forward. It was agreed that it should be updated following the discussions and evidence noted in the group sessions. The document style and format could be updated with the new categories.

 

MR suggested that the governors own the SEF – a discussion followed. It was agreed that it needs more in the Strengths and Judgement section, and that some of the ‘development areas’ should be Strengths.

 

A discussion followed about how often the SEF should be reviewed and updated.

ACTION (3) – MR to review the format of the SEF.

 

5.     AOB

-      It was agreed that the accompanying FFT reports should be available on the governor’s website. ACTION (4) – BA to load these.

-      JS advised that she has complied a new policy for Safer Recruitment – this will be reviewed and approved at the next FGB on 23rd March. ACTION (5) – BA to ensure this is on the agenda.

-      JS & LB have completed Child Protection and Prevent training. ACTION (6) – BA to update the training records.

 

Meeting ended at 8.25pm.

 

Dates of next meetings:

Wednesday 23rd March 2016

 7pm - FGB meeting

 

Thursday 21st April

7pm – Q&S Committee

 

Thursday 28th April

7pm – Resources Committee

 

Summary of Actions

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Confirm (test…) that the governors know the Ofsted sections/headings at the next Q&S meeting.

All

2

- Prepare the Ofsted descriptors template

- The governors to populate the evidence as discussed in their groups, and return to BA who will collate all comments into one document.

BA

All

3

Review the format of the SEF, and work closely with JS/SS to decide how it should be updated going forward.

MR

4

Upload the FFT reports onto the governor’s website.

BA

5

Ensure that the new Safer Recruitment policy is on the agenda for the next FGB.

BA

6

Update the training records.

BA

Priorities 2015/16

Embed tracking system

Enable Lower Ability pupils to accelerate

Raise parental expectation

 

 

What difference have we made to the school through what we have discussed today?

Q&S Agenda 10th March 2016

Castlewood School Governing Body

Quality and Standards Committee                                                           Castlewood Road

Chair:         Maria Roberts                                                                              Southwater

Vice Chair:  Andy Guy                                                                                    West Sussex

                                                                                                                              RH13 9US

                                                                                                                              Telephone:              01403 734822

                                                                                                                              Fax                             01403 734978

                                                                                    http://www.castlewood.w-sussex.sch.uk

 

Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

Q&S Committee Meeting - Thursday 10th March 2016 at 7pm

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                  Max Time                Lead

 

1.     Apologies for absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interests            2 mins                     MR

 

2.     Approval of Minutes from previous meeting 14th January 2016           2 mins                     MR

 

3.     Matters arising from previous meeting on 14th January 2016                 2 mins                     MR

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

BA to check and confirm that the Complaints Policy is available on the school’s website.

BA

2

Following review of the pie charts generated from O-Track data, can the governors review other local school’s data to compare? And can SEN and Pupil Premium be shown on the pie charts?

JS

3

Add a key to the spreadsheet data, so that governors can easily identify the measures and abbreviations.

JS

4

Prepare format and content for SEF Workshop to be held at the next Q&S meeting in March 2016.

MR/JS

4.     Ofsted/SEF – group session                                                                                             60 mins                                    All

Please review the accompanying papers – in particular, governors to familiarise themselves with the Ofsted descriptors and consider the following questions:

-      How do we know, and what evidence do we have to support an accurate judgement?

-      Where are the gaps in our knowledge and/or evidence?

 

The session will also include a review of the school’s draft SEF.

 

5.     AOB                                                                                                                                               5 mins                     All

 

 

Additional Meeting Papers provided:

1.     Previous meeting minutes (14th January 2016)

2.     Castlewood FFT dashboard 2015 KS1

3.     Castlewood FFT dashboard 2015 KS2

4.     Locality visit outcomes Nov 15

5.     Locality visit report Jan 16

6.     Castlewood RAISE dashboard 2015

7.     Ofsted grade descriptors

8.     Safeguarding Audit Sep 15

9.     Draft SEF 2015/16

 

 

Dates of next meetings:

 

Wednesday 23rd March 2016

 7pm - FGB meeting

 

Thursday 21st April

7pm – Q&S Committee

 

Thursday 28th April

7pm – Resources Committee

 

 

 

 

Priorities 2015/16

Embed tracking system

Enable Lower Ability pupils to accelerate

Raise parental expectation

 

 

What difference have we made to the school through what we have discussed today?

Q&S Minutes 14th January 2016

Castlewood School Governing Body                                                           Castlewood Road

Chair:          Maria Roberts                                                                             Southwater

Vice Chair:  Andy Guy                                                                                    West Sussex

                                                                                                                              RH13 9US

                                                                                                                              Telephone:              01403 734822

                                                                                                                              Fax                             01403 734978

                                                                                    http://www.castlewood.w-sussex.sch.uk

 

Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

Q&S Committee Meeting Minutes

Thursday 14th January 2016

Present: Chair - Maria Roberts (MR), Julie Wallace (JW), Sarah Speed (SS), Julia Slocombe (JS), Wendy Mason (WM), Lauren Brown (LB), Nicki Brown (NB), and Clare Quinlisk (CQ).

Clerk: Becky Atkinson (BA)

Meeting Commenced: 7pm

                                                                       

1.     Apologies for absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interests

Apologies were received from Gillian Knight and Mary Page. No apologies were received from Andy Guy; the governors approved these. No pecuniary interests were noted.     

 

2.     Approval of Minutes from previous meeting 19th November 2015

The minutes from the previous meeting were approved.

 

3.     Matters arising from previous meeting on 19th November 2015  

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Send PDF copy of RAISE online document to Becky - ACTIONED

JS

2

Send all approved policies to the school office - ACTIONED

BA

3

Advise the office that the SEN and Child Protection Policies need to be published on the school’s website. ACTIONED

BA

4

Discuss with MF about adding a section to the Policy Grid to keep a log of changes required at subsequent reviews of policies. IN PROGRESS, ACTION CLOSE

BA

5

The Accessibility Strategy needs updating at its next review. Becky will add this to the log mentioned above. ACTIONED

BA

6

Ensure the Complaints Procedure policy is up to date. ACTIONED*

BA

7

Send Becky a copy of the LA visit report for loading onto the governor’s website. ACTIONED

JS/BA

8

BA will email the governors re 16/1/16 LA visit. ACTIONED

MR/BA

9

Topics for the next Q&S meeting in Jan 2016 to include Tracking & Assessment, and the SEF. ACTIONED

MR/BA

* A discussion was held regarding the Complaints Policy and whether this was published and readily available on the school’s website. ACTION (1) – BA to check and confirm.

 

4.     Autumn Term Data

MR introduced the session, and advised the governors that maybe a different way of looking at and analysing the data was needed. JS displayed each year group’s data for each pupil, in each class – the children’s names would be displayed along the top of the spreadsheet, but were hidden for this meeting.

 

A Q&A session followed, summarised here: -

 

1.     What is the data showing?

Answer: Class Data.

 

2.     What are the numbers relevant to?

Answer: The numbers are from 1 to 4, with 4 being the highest, and evidences exceptional working where a pupil is working one year above. 3 was the highest rating on the data that the governors were shown, and evidences that the pupil is working completely independently. The more 3’s the better.

 

3.     How do the teachers assess each child, what is the criteria?

Answer: The children are rated as 1 if they have completed a piece of work following teacher input. A 2 indicates they have completed the work without teacher input, and a 3 rating means that the child has completely understood the work, and the teacher is confident that even if they were asked to complete it months later, the child would be able to.

 

4.     What is the colour coding?

Answer: 1 Red, 2 Amber, 3 Green – the numbers and colours explain how many times a pupil has worked independently.

 

5.     Who completes the spreadsheet?

Answer: The teachers or teaching assistants.

 

6.     Are other schools using this system?

Answer: No, it is specific to Castlewood.

 

7.     The left hand side shows the learning objectives, what do the colours mean?

Answer: The yellow objectives are Key Performance Indicators and are specifically from the curriculum. Red text means Castlewood specific objectives (either DFE guidance or objectives broken into smaller steps.)

 

8.     What do the codes mean?

Answer:

WB – starting the age related curriculum

WD – developing

WS – working towards/secure

M – met

Embedded/Mastery

 

If children are on a B, this indicates they are working below their year group’s current curriculum – this could be a SEN pupil.

 

9.     Who monitors the other year groups?

Answer: Vicky Dedman and Lauren Brown

 

10.  Does the school have a calendar of when the objectives are taught?

Answer: This is the Medium Term Plan.

 

11.  How will children be assessed at Year 6?

Answer: They will be assessed as Met or Not Met.

 

12.  How can you compare with the old level 4, level 5 and level 6?

Answer: You can’t – the measures are different.

 

13.  What information will be provided to Year 6 parents? And does this also apply for all year group parents?

Answer: Yr 6 the Teacher Assessment, and the Test results in Yr 6. All other year groups will be based on Teacher Assessment.

 

14.  The changes are significant, how does Castlewood’s system compare to other schools?

Answer: MR confirmed that Castlewood are way ahead of most schools and that their organisation, preparation and system are very detailed and reassuring.

 

A discussion followed regarding the Pie Charts that JS has produced – these were provided ahead of the meeting and are driven by O-Track data.

 

The governors asked questions in order to confirm their understanding;

-        Can the committee review data from other local school’s to see how Castlewood compares?

-        Can SEN and Pupil Premium be shown?

ACTION (2) – JS to confirm the above questions.

 

A discussion followed about high ability and lower ability pupils, and intervention strategies. The Committee discussed how comfortable they are in reviewing and analysing the data, particularly if questioned as part of an Ofsted visit. The governors agreed it was important to continue to regularly review and track the data.

 

A governor mentioned that it would be helpful to have a Key on the spreadsheet data (the one displayed on the screen in the meeting), so that the governors could easily identify the different measures and abbreviations. ACTION (3) – JS to add this.

 

The Committee agreed that it was crucial to see progression of pupils from WB to WD to WS, and onwards.

 

5.     Self Evaluation Form (SEF)

JS explained what the SEF is and how it is used; the report provides an introduction to the school, and its context and background. If Ofsted were to visit, it is the first thing that is sent to them ahead of the visit. It includes details of previous inspections, any key issues and ongoing action/progress. The form will also detail areas for improvement, along with governor details and the school’s strengths. The SEF is updated annually or termly.

 

It was felt that the governors should be more involved in the SEF and as a result, the Committee agreed to hold a ‘SEF Workshop’ at the next Q&S meeting in March.

ACTION (4) – MR/JS to prepare format of this accordingly.

 

6.     Safeguarding and Child Protection update

Given that this item was also due to be discussed in the Resources Committee meeting, which was immediately following this meeting, an update did not take place due to time constraints. The minutes from the Resources meeting can be referred to.  

 

7.     AOB

There was no AOB.

 

Meeting ended at 8.05pm.

 

Dates of next meetings (Spring Term):

Thursday 3rd March 2016

7pm – Resources committee

 

Thursday 10th March 2016

7pm - Q&S Committee

 

Wednesday 23rd March 2016

 7pm - FGB meeting

 

Summary of Actions

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

BA to check and confirm that the Complaints Policy is available on the school’s website.

BA

2

Following review of the pie charts generated from O-Track data, can the governors review other local school’s data to compare? And can SEN and Pupil Premium be shown on the pie charts?

JS

3

Add a key to the spreadsheet data, so that governors can easily identify the measures and abbreviations.

JS

4

Prepare format and content for SEF Workshop to be held at the next Q&S meeting in March 2016.

MR/JS

Priorities 2015/16

Embed tracking system

Enable Lower Ability pupils to accelerate

Raise parental expectation

 

 

 

What difference have we made to the school through what we have discussed today?

Q&S Agenda 14th January 2016

Castlewood School Governing Body

Quality and Standards Committee                                                           Castlewood Road

Chair:         Maria Roberts                                                                              Southwater

Vice Chair:  Andy Guy                                                                                    West Sussex

                                                                                                                              RH13 9US

                                                                                                                              Telephone:              01403 734822

                                                                                                                              Fax                             01403 734978

                                                                                    http://www.castlewood.w-sussex.sch.uk


Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

Q&S Committee Meeting - Thursday 14th January 2016 at 7pm – 8pm

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                  Max Time                Lead

 

1.     Apologies for absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interests            2 mins                     MR

 

2.     Approval of Minutes from previous meeting 19th November 2015    2 mins                     MR

 

3.     Matters arising from previous meeting on 19th November 2015          2 mins                     MR

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Send PDF copy of RAISE online document to Becky

JS

2

Send all approved policies to the school office

BA

3

Advise the office that the SEN and Child Protection Policies need to be published on the school’s website.

BA

4

Discuss with MF about adding a section to the Policy Grid to keep a log of changes required at subsequent reviews of policies.

BA

5

The Accessibility Strategy needs updating at its next review. Becky will add this to the log mentioned above.

BA

6

Ensure the Complaints Procedure policy is up to date.

BA

7

Send Becky a copy of the LA visit report for loading onto the governor’s website.

JS/BA

8

BA will email the governors re 16/1/16 LA visit

MR/BA

9

Topics for the next Q&S meeting in Jan 2016 to include Tracking & Assessment, and the SEF.

MR/BA

4.     Autumn Term Data                                                                                                              20 mins                                    JS/MR

Supporting documentation provided ahead of the meeting – in this meeting, there will be more emphasis on governor’s understanding of what they are seeing, rather than being told what the data is. Please could governors review the accompanying data documents and prepare questions for the meeting.

 

 

5.     Self-evaluation                                                                                                                       15 mins                                    JS

Should the Governing Body be more involved in this process? And if so, to what extent? What else would governors need to know about the process?

 

 

6.     Safeguarding and Child Protection update                                                          10 mins                                    JS

 

 

7.     AOB                                                                                                                                               5 mins                     All

 

 

Additional Meeting Papers provided:

-        Previous meeting minutes (19th November 2015)

-        EYFS data document

-        Data Cohort Summary Sheets x 6 (Yr 1 – Yr 6)

-        Pie Chart sheets x 6 (Yr 1 – Yr 6)

 

 

Dates of next meetings – Spring Term:

 

Thursday 14th Jan 2016

8pm – Resources committee

 

Thursday 3rd March 2016

7pm – Resources committee

 

Thursday 10th March 2016

7pm - Q&S Committee

 

Wednesday 23rd March 2016

 7pm - FGB meeting

 

 

 

Priorities 2015/16

Embed tracking system

Enable Lower Ability pupils to accelerate

Raise parental expectation

 

 

What difference have we made to the school through what we have discussed today?

Q&S Minutes 19th Nov 2015

Castlewood School Governing Body                                     

Chair:          Maria Roberts                                                                            

Vice Chair:  Andy Guy                                                                                   

 

 

Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

 

Q&S Committee Meeting Minutes

Thursday 19th November 2015

Present: Chair - Maria Roberts (MR), Julie Wallace (JW), Sarah Speed (SS), Julia Slocombe (JS), Wendy Mason (WM), Lauren Brown (LB), Nicki Brown (NB), Andy Guy (AG) and Gillian Knight (GK).

Clerk: Becky Atkinson (BA)

Meeting Commenced: 7pm

                                                                       

1.     Apologies for absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interests

Apologies were received from Clare Quinlisk. No apologies were received from Mary Page; the governors approved these. No pecuniary interests were noted.                 

 

2.     Approval of Minutes from previous meeting 1st October 2015

The minutes from the previous meeting were approved.

 

3.     Matters arising from previous meeting on 1st October 2015                                    

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Provide copies of the Raise Online document with strengths and weaknesses. On Agenda for discussion tonight. JS will send electronic copy to BA – ACTION (1)

JS

2

Amend references to Year 5 to Year 4 on the Summary of New Curriculum document, under Year 4 progress. ACTIONED

JS

3

Prevent/Channel Awareness training - send the link to all governors asking them to complete the training, and to read the Prevent Toolkit ACTIONED

BA

4

The Child Protection Policy to be reviewed and approved in the next Q&S meeting – 19th Nov 2016 On Agenda for tonight

JW and MP

5

Ensure that confirmation of the Complaints Panel procedure is covered in the next Q&S meeting. On Agenda for tonight

MR/BA

4.     Polices for review and approval:-

Child Protection Policy

The governors commented on an excellent document, which is very thorough.

APPROVED

 

Anti Bullying Policy, Behaviour Policy, Home School Agreement Policy, and Recording Policy

All APPROVED

 

ACTION (2) – BA to send all approved policies to the school office. 

 

5.     SEN Policy for approval

It was advised that there is no model policy, the policy has been written by the school. JS confirmed that the policy is correct against the Information Report, and that all requirements are covered on the school website.

 

A governor asked a question regarding Gifted and Talented pupils and a discussion followed.

 

ACTION (3) – BA to confirm with the school office that the SEN and Child Protection Policies should be published on the school’s website.

 

JS suggested that we keep a policy change log – so that we don’t lose sight of amendments that are identified in between the formal reviews. ACTION (4) – BA will discuss with MF; we could add a section to the Policy Grid.

 

It was pointed out that the Accessibility Strategy needs updating at its next review. ACTION (5) – BA to ensure this is logged.

 

6.     Complaints Panel procedure

The procedure was discussed and confirmed with the Committee members - rather than name Governors who will sit on the Panel, it was agreed (as per the current procedure), that governors will be asked to attend the panel depending on the nature and type of complaint received.

ACTION (6) – BA to ensure the Complaints Procedure policy is up to date.

 

7.     RAISE and Local Authority visit report

JS introduced the session, and displayed the latest RAISE online report for all governors to see. The governors were asked a number of questions to confirm their understanding of the data and statistics that they were looking at. Key points were:-

-      Whilst there is very good attainment for KS1, this makes excellent progress much more challenging in KS2.

-      The governors used the historic data to discuss the children currently in Year 6, against the data seen for 2012 for the same group of children.

-      The Committee were able to spot the strengths and weaknesses.

-      A discussion was held regarding Level 6 assessment; a governor asked if the school was challenging their Higher Ability pupils enough? A lengthy, robust discussion was held.

-      The Committee commented that the school is consistently about the national average; they discussed Progress v Value Added.

 

MR then moved on to discuss the recent LA visit that was focused on achievement and data; MR advised the Committee that the school’s achievements were outstanding due to very high achievement over time. A governor pointed out that it was important the governors are outstanding too. A discussion followed regarding long term results, and outstanding achievement across the whole school. A discussion about Ofsted followed.

 

The Committee were happy that the LA visit was proof of ‘external validation’ for the school’s achievements.

ACTION (7) – JS to send BA a copy of the LA visit report for loading onto the governor’s website.

 

8.     New Curriculum update – Yr 2/Yr 6

LB provided an update to the governors - a handout was provided which was colour coded showing statutory and non statutory requirements.  

 

The Committee had a long and robust discussion concerning areas of the new curriculum – a variety of questions were raised and LB/JS responded accordingly. In particular, the governors discussed requirements for Reading, Writing, Maths and GPS:-

-      It was recognised that there is a lot of expectation in Year 4.

-      Staff meetings are invaluable for ensuring that new topics are discussed in depth to ensure consistent coverage across all year groups.

-      Staff and TA subject knowledge has had a greater focus.

-      In response to a governor question regarding how consistency is achieved throughout the school, LB assured the Committee that KS1 (Vicky Dedman) and KS2 (LB) work closely together.

-      GPS is a challenging area, with grammar requirements significantly increased. 

 

A discussion followed regarding the huge pressure on children, particularly in Year 6. The governors were keen to ensure that support is available to the children, and JS/LB responded accordingly, reassuring the governors that the welfare of the children is a key priority.

 

MR asked the Committee whether it was felt that Castlewood was managing the curriculum and assessment changes well? A discussion followed; the governors were very happy with how the school has approached the changes, and implemented a new tracking system.

 

MR reassured the Committee that Castlewood is very well set up for the changes - the school is in a very good shape. MR confirmed that a 2nd visit would take place in Jan 2016, focused on teaching and learning -the governors felt that it would be useful for a governor to be present to see what is covered.

ACTION (8) – MR has confirmed the date as Tues 16th Jan 2016, and BA will invite governors to attend from mid morning to look at books.

 

It was agreed that there would be a further follow up, and an update on tracking and assessment in the Q&S meeting in the Spring Term.

ACTION (9) – MR/BA to ensure it is on the agenda for 14th Jan meeting.

 

9.     Governor Monitoring Visits

Governors were reminded to book in visits. It was agreed that it is important to mention informal visits to the school as well, whenever updates are provided in committee meetings. 

 

10.  Training and Development

Nothing to report.

 

11.  AOB

The New Parents Open Morning was discussed, this is being held on Friday 20th Nov – GK and SS are attending to ensure governor representation.

 

The Committee agreed that the SEF should be on the next agenda.

ACTION (9) – MR/BA to ensure it is on the agenda for 14th Jan meeting.

 

Meeting ended at 8.45pm.

 

Date of next meeting:

 

Thursday 3rd Dec

7pm - FGB Meeting

 

Thursday 14th Jan 2016

7pm – Q&S committee

8pm – Resources committee

 

 

Summary of Actions

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Send PDF copy of RAISE online document to Becky

JS

2

Send all approved policies to the school office

BA

3

Advise the office that the SEN and Child Protection Policies need to be published on the school’s website.

BA

4

Discuss with MF about adding a section to the Policy Grid to keep a log of changes required at subsequent reviews of policies.

BA

5

The Accessibility Strategy needs updating at its next review. Becky will add this to the log mentioned above.

BA

6

Ensure the Complaints Procedure policy is up to date.

BA

7

Send Becky a copy of the LA visit report for loading onto the governor’s website.

JS/BA

8

BA will email the governors re 16/1/16 LA visit

MR/BA

9

Topics for the next Q&S meeting in Jan 2016 to include Tracking & Assessment, and the SEF.

MR/BA

Q&S Agenda 19th Nov 2015

Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

Q&S Committee Meeting - Thursday 19th November 2015 at 7pm

 

 

                                                                                                                                                Max Time               Lead

 

1.       Apologies for absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interests         2 mins                   MR

 

2.       Approval of Minutes from previous meeting 1st October 2015           2 mins                   MR

 

3.       Matters arising from previous meeting on 1st October 2015                2 mins                   MR

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Provide copies of the Raise Online document with strengths and weaknesses.

JS

2

Amend references to Year 5 to Year 4 on the Summary of New Curriculum document, under Year 4 progress.

JS

3

Prevent/Channel Awareness training - send the link to all governors asking them to complete the training, and to read the Prevent Toolkit

BA

4

The Child Protection Policy to be reviewed and approved in the next Q&S meeting – 19th Nov 2016

JW and MP

5

Ensure that confirmation of the Complaints Panel procedure is covered in the next Q&S meeting.

MR/BA

4.       Policies for review and approval:-                                                                   15 mins                MR

-        Child Protection Policy

-        Anti Bullying Policy

-        Behaviour Policy

-        Home School agreement

-        Recording Policy

 

 

5.       SEN Policy for approval                                                                                         15 mins                JS

 

6.       Complaints Panel procedure                                                                              5 mins                   JS

 

7.       RAISE and Local Authority visit report                                                            10 mins                MR

 

8.       New Curriculum update – Yr2/Yr 6                                                                  10 mins                LB

 

9.       Governor Monitoring Visits                                                                                                10 mins                SS

 

10.   Training and Development                                                                                 5 mins                   MR

-        Update on Prevent Training

 

11.   AOB                                                                                                                               5 mins                   All

 

 

Additional Meeting Papers provided:

-          Previous meeting minutes (1st October 2015)

-          Child Protection Policy

-          Anti-Bullying Policy

-          Behaviour Policy

-          Home School agreement

-          Recording Policy

-          SEN Policy

 

 

Dates of next meetings – Autumn Term:

 

Thursday 3rd Dec

7pm - FGB Meeting

 

Thursday 14th Jan 2016

7pm – Q&S committee

8pm – Resources committee

 

 

Priorities 2015/16

Embed tracking system

Enable Lower Ability pupils to accelerate

Raise parental expectation

Q&S Minutes 1st October 2015

Castlewood School Governing Body                                                Castlewood Road

Chair:          Maria Roberts                                                                  Southwater

Vice Chair:  Andy Guy                                                                         West Sussex

                                                                                                                RH13 9US

                                                                                                                Telephone:            01403 734822

                                                                                                                Fax                          01403 734978

                                                                                    http://www.castlewood.w-sussex.sch.uk

Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

Q&S Committee Meeting Minutes

Thursday 1st October 2015

Present: Chair - Maria Roberts (MR), Julie Wallace (JW), Sarah Speed (SS), Julia Slocombe (JS), Wendy Mason (WM), Lauren Brown (LB), Clare Quinlisk (CQ), Nicki Brown (NB), Mary Page (MP) and Gillian Knight (GK).

Clerk: Becky Atkinson (BA)

Meeting Commenced: 7pm

                                                                                                                                               

1.       Apologies for absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interests

Apologies were received from Andy Guy - the governors approved these. No pecuniary interests were noted.        

 

2.       Approval of Minutes from previous meeting 18th June 2015

The minutes from the previous meeting were approved.

 

3.       Matters arising from previous meeting on 18th June 2015                    

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

The governors discussed a number of areas that need to be managed and actioned in line with changes to Ofsted inspections.

a) All documentation to be accessible and up to date (this will be managed via the new online portal that all governors will shortly have access to) – ACTION on BA/SS

b) It is important that the school’s middle leaders’ are up to speed – ACTION on JS

It was agreed that in the Autumn Term, we would have some time in meetings to look at the SEF, RAISE online and other key documents so that all governors are comfortable with the content – ACTION on BA to ensure this is on the relevant agendas.

ACTIONED

BA/SS

JS

BA

2

Governors to send copies of their Summer Term visits to GK for her summary.

ACTIONED

All

3

Send CQ a copy of the Summer Term visit template - ACTIONED

BA

4

Send the proposed format and timings for FGB on 2nd July - ACTIONED

BA

5

Consider more interaction with the children when developing the visits template for the new academic year 2015/16 - ACTIONED

GK

4.       Castlewood Achievements v Rest of West Sussex; against Ofsted good/outstanding outcomes

MR led the session in which the governors discussed the achievements of Castlewood against all other schools in West Sussex using KS2 attainment data at Level 4 combined. A chart was provided which was colour coded, with school names hidden, but MR pointed out to the governors where Castlewood was.

 

The Committee members were very pleased with Castlewood’s success.

 

MR provided handouts of the Ofsted criteria and outcomes for outstanding schools – and she asked the governors to consider this against Castlewood’s results. A discussion followed regarding Castlewood’s achievement against Ofsted’s Outstanding criteria.

 

The governors discussed the Raise Online document that details strengths and weaknesses – ACTION (1) JS would provide copies of this in PDF format.

 

A long discussion followed regarding the potential for an Ofsted visit; this led to discussions about Data Dashboards and, Years 2 and 6 curriculums.

 

JS talked through the Summary of New Curriculum document, one governor challenged the wording within Year 4 Progress, and JS will amend the error (Year 5 to Year 4) - ACTION (2)

 

A governor asked a question regarding how should governors ensure that the school focuses on each year group equally – a discussion followed regarding this.

 

5.       Data Windscreens

JS explained the new style windscreen data sheets to the governors (copies of these had been provided ahead of the meeting). A discussion followed, which included the following points:-

-        JS outlined the new tracking/assessment codes that have been devised with the Locality schools; these will be used within the Locality for moderation purposes. A healthy discussion followed with a governor challenging some of the codes that will be used. JS responded accordingly.

-        Another governor asked about Reception children and how they are baselined.

-        The Committee discussed floor standards and ‘coasting’ schools, as well as interim standards for Years 2 and 6 for this year.

 

 

6.       Prevent

A quick update was provided regarding Prevent (the strategy to prevent children and young people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism):-

-        The school is required to undertake a self-assessment, which JS is working on.

-        The strategy links with the Child Protection Policy, which the Committee recognised was robust and Prevent is included within it.

-        A governor asked about staff training and JS confirmed that all members of staff have been required to read the Child Protection Policy and 2 accompanying documents, and they have signed to acknowledge they have done this.

-        Whilst British Values and the promotion of this is a good thing, it is important to ensure the school looks globally too.

 

The Committee concluded the discussion with the following points:-

-        Prevent is all about knowing your children very well.

-        There is a process in place to raise any concerns, with all relevant and appropriate agencies involved.

-        JS has completed the Prevent training and it was agreed that all governors should complete the online Channel Awareness training as well as confirming that they have read the Prevent Toolkit.  ACTION (3) – BA to send the link to all governors asking them to complete the online training, and to ensure that all governors have read the Toolkit.

 

ACTION (4) – The Child Protection Policy to be reviewed and approved in the next Q&S meeting. (JW and MP)

 

7.       Training and Development

Due to time constraints, an update will be provided in the Resources Meeting which immediately follows Q&S.

 

8.       Confirm Complaints Panel procedure

This agenda item was postponed to the following meeting. ACTION (5)

 

9.       AOB

The Committee wanted to acknowledge and recognise the school’s excellent achievement and results for 2014/15 – the governors sent their thanks to the staff.

 

Meeting ended at 8pm.

 

Date of next meeting (Autumn Term):

Thursday 12th Nov

7pm - Resources Committee

 

Thursday 19th Nov

7pm - Q&S Committee

 

Thursday 3rd Dec

7pm - FGB Meeting

 

Summary of Actions

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Provide copies of the Raise Online document with strengths and weaknesses.

JS

2

Amend references to Year 5 to Year 4 on the Summary of New Curriculum document, under Year 4 progress.

JS

3

Prevent/Channel Awareness training - send the link to all governors asking them to complete the training, and to read the Prevent Toolkit

BA

4

The Child Protection Policy to be reviewed and approved in the next Q&S meeting – 19th Nov 2016

JW and MP

5

Ensure that confirmation of the Complaints Panel procedure is covered in the next Q&S meeting.

MR/BA

Q&S Agenda 1st October 2015

Castlewood School Governing Body

Quality and Standards Committee                                                Castlewood Road

Chair:         Maria Roberts                                                                   Southwater

Vice Chair:  Andy Guy                                                                         West Sussex

                                                                                                                RH13 9US

                                                                                                                Telephone:            01403 734822

                                                                                                                Fax                          01403 734978

                                                                                    http://www.castlewood.w-sussex.sch.uk

Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

Q&S Committee Meeting - Thursday 1st October 2015 at 7pm to 8pm

 

 

                                                                                                                                                Max Time               Lead

 

1.       Apologies for absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interests         2 mins                   MR

 

2.       Approval of Minutes from previous meeting 18th June 2015                                2 mins                   MR

 

3.       Matters arising from previous meeting on 18th June 2015                     2 mins                   MR

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

The governors discussed a number of areas that need to be managed and actioned in line with changes to Ofsted inspections.

a) All documentation to be accessible and up to date (this will be managed via the new online portal that all governors will shortly have access to) – ACTION on BA/SS

b) It is important that the school’s middle leaders’ are up to speed – ACTION on JS

c) It was agreed that in the Autumn Term, we would have some time in meetings to look at the SEF, RAISE online and other key documents so that all governors are comfortable with the content – ACTION on BA to ensure this is on the relevant agendas.

BA/SS

JS

BA

2

Governors to send copies of their Summer Term visits to GK for her summary.

All

3

Send CQ a copy of the Summer Term visit template

BA

4

Send the proposed format and timings for FGB on 2nd July

BA

5

Consider more interaction with the children when developing the visits template for the new academic year 2015/16

GK

4.       Castlewood Achievements v Rest of West Sussex; against Ofsted good/outstanding outcomes                                                                                                                20 mins                                MR

Documents provided x 3

 

 

5.       Data Windscreens                                                                                                   15 mins                                JS

Windscreen documents provided x 12

 

6.       Prevent                                                                                                                        15 mins                                JS

Prevent Toolkit provided x 1

 

7.       Training and Development                                                                                 5 mins                   MR                                                                

8.       AOB                                                                                                                               5 mins                   All

 

 

Additional Meeting Papers provided:

-          Previous Meeting minutes from 18th June 2015

-          New Curriculum summary data 2014-15

-          Summary of Castlewood data 2014-15

-          Yr 1-6 2014-15 summary July 2015

-          Data Windscreen documents x 12

-          Prevent Toolkit

 

 

Dates of next meetings – Autumn Term:

Thursday 1st October 2015

7pm – Q&S Committee

8pm – Resources Committee

 

Thursday 12th Nov

7pm - Resources Committee

 

Thursday 19th Nov

7pm - Q&S Committee

 

Thursday 3rd Dec

7pm - FGB Meeting

 

 

Priorities 2015/16

 

tbc

 

 

 

What difference have we made to the school through what we have discussed today?

 

Q&S Minutes 18th June 2015

CASTLEWOOD PRIMARY SCHOOL GOVERNING BODY

QUALITY AND STANDARDS COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

Thursday 18th June 2015

 

Present:   Chair, Maria Roberts (MR), Julie Wallace (JW), Julia Slocombe (JS), Chris Noble (CN), Wendy Mason (WM), Andy Guy (AG), Clare Quinlisk (CQ), Gillian Knight (GK)

Clerk: Becky Atkinson (BA)

Meeting Commenced:     19.00

 

1.    Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interest

Apologies were received from Nicki Brown, Sarah Speed and Mary Page. The Governors present approved the apologies. No declarations of pecuniary interest were made.

 

2.    Approval of Minutes from previous meeting 7th May 2015

All Governors present approved the minutes as a true record of the meeting.

3.    Matters arising from Q&S Committee meeting 7th May 2015

 

1.

In order to continue to monitor the quality assurance of the school’s tracking and assessment process, ensure this is included within the focus of the Monitoring Visits during the Autumn Term. ACTION CLOSED

GK/MR

2.

Governors should continue to ask challenging questions re pupil progress and effectiveness of intervention programmes that certain pupils are on. A named Governor (MR) to continue to monitor the progress of PP. ACTION CLOSED

All/ MR

3.

Ensure EYFS Baseline Assessment is on the agenda for Q&S first half of Autumn Term. ACTION CLOSED

MR/BA

 

4.    Ofsted Changes

JS and MR led the discussions about changes to Ofsted Inspections due for September 2015 – a summary was provided for governors of the expected changes. The key points were noted and discussed:-

Ø New guidelines were recently sent out to HTs providing an outline of what to expect.

Ø Inspectors are currently undergoing briefings and training.

Ø For schools on a Good rating, expectations are that an inspection may occur every 3       years. This would be a one day inspection that may then turn into a full two day inspection if the school is likely to be judged RI or Outstanding.

Ø The inspections would be carried out by Her Majesty’s Inspectors (HMIs).

Ø If they thought a school might be close to Outstanding, then another inspector would be called in to provide additional evidence within 48 hours.

A good discussion followed, and the Committee recognised that it was important for all governors to be aware of the timescales. In preparation for a future Ofsted inspection, the following points were noted by the governors:-

Ø The SEF will be a vital document for all governors to be up to speed with ahead of an inspection.

Ø Inspectors will also examine and ask questions regarding RAISE online data and the school website.

ACTION required – The governors discussed a number of areas that need to be managed and actioned, as follows:

Ø All documentation to be accessible and up to date (this will be managed via the new online portal that all governors will shortly have access to) – ACTION on BA/SS

Ø It is important that the school’s ‘middle leaders’ are up to speed – ACTION on JS

Ø It was agreed that in the Autumn Term, we would have some time in meetings to look at the SEF, RAISE online and other key documents so that all governors are comfortable with the content – ACTION on BA to ensure this is on the relevant agendas.

 

5.    New Curriculum – reports to parents

JS explained the new layout and format for reports to Parents, detailing the changes to wording and gradings in line with the new curriculum and assessment.

It was noted that Years 2 and 6 would continue to receive the old style reports with ‘Level’ gradings.

In line with the changes, Julia has written a letter to parents that will go out with the reports which explains the changes, and outlines the different gradings and assessments. Expectations have also been managed regarding pupils ‘exceeding’.

A discussion followed regarding the Phonics Screening tests.

It was recognised that the school office staff are working to challenging timescales, and it is a very busy time for them. A discussion followed regarding holding test papers within the locked cupboard.

A governor asked Julia whether or not parents will be asked for feedback regarding the new format reports – a discussion followed. 

 

6.    New Intake

JS confirmed that 30 children are starting in September 2015 – a governor asked about numbers starting at Southwater Infant Academy as a comparison, it was thought that there were some gaps, maybe 5 or 6 spaces.

Julia informed the Committee that the West Horsham Network have designed and developed a booklet that will be provided to the new intake children and their parents; this outlines expectations of the children, and their parents, as they prepare to start school. The governors were provided with copies of the draft booklet, and they reviewed these in the meeting and provided feedback; the governors felt that it was a good piece of work and would be worthwhile.

Julia moved on to discuss the Induction Meeting with parents and how the paper handouts that will be provided, have changed from previous years.

A governor asked about capacity within the current Reception year group given that there was a low intake for September 2014 - Julia responded accordingly that whilst there is capacity for more, some year groups just have low birth rates.

Julia confirmed that visits had been undertaken to local Pre-Schools, whose children feed into Castlewood. A discussion followed regarding home visits.

 

 

7.    Monitoring Visits for Summer Term

GK reminded all governors to book in for Summer Term visits, she asked governors to email reports to her in order that she can prepare a summary at FGB on 2nd July.

ACTION – governors to send GK copies of their reports via email (All)

ACTION – email CQ a copy of the Summer Term template (BA)

 

8.    FGB – 2nd July

JW informed the governors of the proposed format and timings for the FGB meeting on 2nd July. The governors were supportive of the proposals for the day.

ACTION -Timings and format will be sent out to all governors shortly (BA)

A governor challenged the Committee as to whether it was felt that governors spend enough time with the children in school, observing and watching them learn – a long discussion followed, and there was a variety of views from the Committee on this matter. The consensus amongst the governors was that whilst time spent with the children should be proportionate it should not put added pressure on the teaching staff.

ACTION – When preparing the Monitoring Visits template for the Autumn Term, consider more interaction with the children (GK)

9.    AOB

GK has been into the school and led two lessons on Greek Theatre. CN and JS thanked Gillian for her time in doing this.

Meeting ended at 8.10pm

Next Meetings:

Thurs 2nd July – FGB, all day

Thurs 17th Sep – Housekeeping Meeting

 

Summary of Actions

No

Detail

Who

1.

The governors discussed a number of areas that need to be managed and actioned in line with changes to Ofsted inspections.

a) All documentation to be accessible and up to date (this will be managed via the new online portal that all governors will shortly have access to) – ACTION on BA/SS

b) It is important that the school’s middle leaders’ are up to speed – ACTION on JS

c) It was agreed that in the Autumn Term, we would have some time in meetings to look at the SEF, RAISE online and other key documents so that all governors are comfortable with the content – ACTION on BA to ensure this is on the relevant agendas.

BA/SS

JS

BA

2.

Governors to send copies of their Summer Term visits to GK for her summary.

All

3.

Send CQ a copy of the Summer Term visit template

BA

4.

Send the proposed format and timings for FGB on 2nd July

BA

5.

Consider more interaction with the children when developing the visits template for the new academic year 2015/16

GK

Q&S Agenda 18th June 2015

Castlewood School Governing Body              Castlewood Road

Quality & Standards Committee                         Southwater

Chair:         Maria Roberts                                 West Sussex    RH13 9US

Vice Chair:  Andrew Guy                                              Telephone:       01403 734822

                                                                        Fax                   01403 734978

                                                                        http://www.castlewood.w-sussex.sch.uk

 

 

Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

AGENDA

Quality and Standards Committee

Thursday 18th June 2015 - 7pm

 

                                                                                                            Max time         Lead

 

1: Apologies for absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interest             2 mins               MR

 

2: Approval of minutes from last Q&S meeting 7th May 2015                    2 mins               MR

 

3:Matters arising from Q&S committee 7th May 2015;                              2 mins               MR

 

1. In order to continue to monitor the quality assurance of the school’s tracking and assessment process, ensure this is included within the focus of the Monitoring Visits during the Autumn Term. GK/MR

2. Governors should continue to ask challenging questions re pupil progress and effectiveness of intervention programmes that certain pupils are on. A named Governor (MR) to continue to monitor the progress of PP.  All/ MR

3. Ensure EYFS Baseline Assessment is on the agenda for Q&S first half of Autumn Term. MR/BA

 

4: Ofsted Changes                                                                                10 mins             MR                  

5: New Curriculum – reports to parents                                                 5 mins               MR/JS

 

6: New Intake                                                                                       10 mins             JS

 

7: Monitoring Visits for Summer Term; reminder to governors                2 mins               JW

 

8: FGB – 2nd July, to discuss format and timings                                      10 mins             JW                                                                              

9: AOB                                                                                                 5 mins               All

 

 

Dates of next meetings:

Thurs 2nd July – FGB – All Day  

 

Priorities 2014/15:

Raise standards in English – 100% of able pupils make expected progress and 45% make more than expected progress

Teaching and Learning increasingly moving from Good to Outstanding

Greater Engagement with hard to reach parents

 

 

 

What difference have we made to the school through what we have discussed tonight?

Q&S Minutes 7th May 2015

CASTLEWOOD PRIMARY SCHOOL GOVERNING BODY

QUALITY AND STANDARDS COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

Thursday 7th May 2015

 

Present:   Chair, Maria Roberts (MR), Julie Wallace (JW), Julia Slocombe (JS), Chris Noble (CN), Wendy Mason (WM), Andy Guy (AG), Clare Quinlisk (CQ), Gillian Knight (GK)

Clerk: Becky Atkinson (BA)

Meeting Commenced:     19.00

 

1.          Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interest

Apologies were received from Nicki Brown, Sarah Speed and Mary Page. The Governors present approved the apologies. No declarations of pecuniary interest were made.

 

2.            Approval of Minutes from previous meeting 12th March 2015

All Governors present approved the minutes as a true record of the meeting.

3.            Matters arising from Q&S Committee meeting 12th March 2015  

1. Provide an update on the Disqualification by Association regulation and the approach taken at Castlewood – at the next Q&S meeting ACTIONED – see below* JS

2. Update both policies that were approved and send to the school office (MF) ACTIONED BA

3. Look at SIP template for 15/16 and set up a column for Governors - evidence of progress towards objectives. ACTIONED JS

4. If any governor is able to conduct a Monitoring visit to Year 5, in Rev’d Godfrey’s absence, please advise JW ACTIONED – CQ has agreed to undertaken the visits to Yr 5 All

 

* In relation to action point 1 above, JS informed the governors that all members of staff have received a letter explaining the new requirements for ‘Disqualification by Association’, and staff have had to complete a declaration and return it to the school office. In addition to this, a column on the single central record indicates responses.

 

4.           Yr 6 attainment predictions and in-year progress

Handouts provided

JS informed the governors that based on the recent mock tests, Yr 6 attainment is looking promising. The results were:-

 

 

Level 3 Level 4 Level 5 SPAG

7% 93% 83% Reading

0 100% 79% Maths

0 100% 66%

 

A discussion followed regarding the mock tests, the results and the expectations for the forthcoming SATs. JS explained that the Year 6 children had been having intensive spelling sessions to raise performance in that area. JS also pointed out that whilst the mock tests were based on the previous years SATs, it is difficult to predict what is coming, and levels of difficulty can vary from year to year.

 

In summary, it is hoped that the school can achieve 100% at Level 4 or above, with a high percentage of Level 5. The governors complimented JS and the teaching/support staff on the good preparation that was evidenced ahead of test week.

 

JS moved on to discuss the Tracking Sheets for Years 1 to 6, a few areas were highlighted and discussed:-

§  A discussion followed regarding the comparisons between old system and new system/new curriculum.

§  JS provided a further handout during the meeting that showed an example of how Year 1 children are assessed and tracked. A number of questions from the Governors followed, and a good discussion was held.

§  The governors were asked to think about whether they could see that progress is being made; how do they satisfy themselves that the children understand what they are learning, rather than just learning it, and a robust discussion followed regarding independent learning.

As a result of these discussions, the governors felt it was important to see how the tracking works in practice, and that in the Autumn Term, one or two governors could come into school and see how the process works within the school. The governors felt it was important to have quality assurance regarding the process. ACTION – ensure this is included within the focus of the Governor’s monitoring visits during the Autumn Term. GK/MR

§  A governor queried whether the school should expect to see some children obtaining ‘exceeds target’ at the end of the Summer Term based on the fact that for some categories, the Autumn Term and Spring Term show 100% of children on track to achieve expected and should we expect to better this? JS replied to this accordingly and explained that there is a big emphasis on embedding the learning, and the children working independently to apply their knowledge to solve problems. Examples were provided.

§Another governor noticed that there had been a slip for SEN pupils regarding Maths from the Autumn Term to the Spring Term. JS reassured the governors that in some cases, children cannot sustain the progress every term and there are occasional dips but she was expecting that the class teacher would address this before the end of the Summer term.

Overall, the governors were extremely pleased with the Year 6 mock results, and were happy with the progress being made in other years.  They were satisfied that they were challenging and asking the right questions to ensure understanding and quality assurance.

 

5.          Feedback from PP training – what actions should the GB now have?

§   A discussion followed regarding the recent Locality training that was hosted by Castlewood (Raising the Achievement of Disadvantaged Children). A long discussion followed regarding the content of this training, and how the governors can ensure that Castlewood is doing everything they can for Pupil Premium children.

§  A governor challenged the Committee regarding the process for ‘missing children’, and whether or not all of the governors understood the process and how this is managed. JS provided an explanation of the steps that are in place to manage such a situation where a child goes missing and is absent from school, particularly for a long period. Even if a parent informs the school that their child is moving to another school, there is a process in place to ensure that there are no gaps and that the child is tracked during this time. The governors were reassured that the process is robust.

§  In summary, the governors were comfortable that PP is a small group at Castlewood and that they are well catered for and the support that the school currently provides to them is very good. However, it was highlighted that this situation can change from one year to another, maybe in terms of the volume of children that are PP, and the Committee recognised that it is important to monitor the support for PP children on a regular basis.

ACTION – Governors should continue to ask challenging questions re pupil progress and effectiveness of intervention programmes that certain pupils are on. A named Governor (MR) to continue to monitor the progress of PP.

 

6. Approve SEN policy

JS provided a brief summary of the SEN policy; the governors queried a couple of areas but subject to these amendments, the Committee approved the SEN Policy – DECISION.

 

A governor questioned the other Committee members regarding the roles involved to ensure everyone understood who is responsible;

SEN Co-ordinator (SENCO) - Julia Slocombe

SEN Teacher - Sue Parkins

SEN Governor - Maria Roberts

 

7. Update on EYFS baseline assessment

JS provided an update regarding the intention to introduce assessment at the start of EYFS (Reception Year) from September 2015. Schools had to choose 1 out of 6 providers by end of April, with the support and guidance from WSCC and the WHN, Castlewood have chosen Early Excellence.

 

A healthy discussion followed regarding the planned implementation of this initiative. The governors were happy to support the decision to go with Early Excellence, and a further update will be provided in the Autumn Term. ACTION – MR/BA to ensure EYFS baseline assessment is on the agenda for Q&S during the first half of the Autumn Term.

 

8. Statutory guidance on exclusions

JW explained that the recent guidance issued on exclusions dated Jan 2015 was incorrect, and schools have been advised to revert back to the Sep 2012 guidance for the time being. A discussion followed.

 

9.     AOB

There was no AOB.

 

 

 

 

Meeting ended at 8 pm

Next Meetings:

Thurs 11th June – Resources Committee 7pm

Thurs 18th June – Q&S Committee 7pm

Thurs 2nd July – FGB – All Day

 

Summary of Actions

 

No

Detail

Who

1. In order to continue to monitor the quality assurance of the school’s tracking and assessment process, ensure this is included within the focus of the Monitoring Visits during the Autumn Term.  GK/MR

2. Governors should continue to ask challenging questions re pupil progress and effectiveness of intervention programmes that certain pupils are on. A named Governor (MR) to continue to monitor the progress of PP.  All/ MR

3. Ensure EYFS Baseline Assessment is on the agenda for Q&S first half of Autumn Term. MR/BA

Q&S Agenda 7th May 2015

Castlewood School Governing Body              Castlewood Road

Quality & Standards Committee                         Southwater

Chair:         Maria Roberts                                 West Sussex    RH13 9US

Vice Chair:  Andrew Guy                                              Telephone:       01403 734822

                                                                        Fax                   01403 734978

                                                                        http://www.castlewood.w-sussex.sch.uk

 

 

Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

AGENDA

Quality and Standards Committee

Thursday 7th May 2015 - 7pm

 

                                                                                                            Max time         Lead

 

1: Apologies for absence and Declaration of Pecuniary Interest              2 mins               MR

 

2: Approval of minutes from last Q&S meeting 12th March 2015               2 mins               MR

 

3:Matters arising from Q&S committee 12th March 2015;                         2 mins               MR

 

1. Provide an update on the Disqualification by Association regulation and the approach taken at Castlewood – at the next Q&S meeting JS

2. Update both policies that were approved and send to the school office (MF) BA

3. Look at SIP template for 15/16 and set up a column for Governors - evidence of progress towards objectives. JS

4. If any governor is able to conduct a Monitoring visit to Year 5, in Rev’d Godfrey’s absence, please advise JW All

 

4:Yr 6 attainment predictions and in-year progress                                20 mins             JS

 

5: Feedback from PP training – what actions should the GB now have?  20 mins             MR

 

6: Approve SEN policy                                                                                     5 mins               JS

 

7: Update on EYFS baseline assessment                                                  2 mins               JS

 

8: Statutory guidance on exclusions                                                      5 mins               JW

                                               

9: AOB                                                                                                 5 mins               All

 

 

Dates of next meetings:

Thurs 11th June – Resources Committee 7pm

Thurs 18th June – Q&S Committee 7pm

Thurs 2nd July – FGB – All Day  

 

Priorities 2014/15:

Raise standards in English – 100% of able pupils make expected progress and 45% make more than expected progress

Teaching and Learning increasingly moving from Good to Outstanding

Greater Engagement with hard to reach parents

 

 

 

What difference have we made to the school through what we have discussed tonight?

Q&S Minutes 12th March 2015

CASTLEWOOD PRIMARY SCHOOL GOVERNING BODY

QUALITY AND STANDARDS COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

Thursday 12th March 2015

 

Present:   Chair, Maria Roberts (MR), Sarah Speed (SS), Julie Wallace (JW), Julia Slocombe (JS), Chris Noble (CN), Wendy Mason (WM), Andy Guy (AG), Clare Quinlisk (CQ)

Clerk: Becky Atkinson (BA)

Meeting Commenced:     19.00

 

1.Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interest

Apologies were received from Mary Page, Nicki Brown and Gillian Knight. The Governors present approved the apologies. No declarations of pecuniary interest were made.

 

2. Approval of Minutes from previous meeting 22 Jan 2015

All Governors present approved the minutes as a true record of the meeting.

 

3.Matters arising from Q&S Committee meeting 22 Jan 2015

1. Website Statutory Checklist – needs to be on the agenda for the next Q&S meeting in March. ACTIONED MR/BA

2. Send list of items missing from website, to all governors. * Please see below JS

3. Remind governors of the British Values, send by email. ACTIONED** see below BA

4. Ofsted update to be included on the next Q&S meeting in March - ACTIONED MR/BA

5. Email the Spring Term templates to all governors - ACTIONED BA

*In line with the action point above, JS provided the governors with a copy of the Website Statutory Checklist that is in progress for Castlewood. The school have been working through each area to ensure their website is up to date. Areas that require further information have been highlighted and actions are in place to ensure these are populated as soon as is possible.

 

** In line with British Values, a healthy discussion followed amongst the governors regarding how the school is actively recognising and promoting British Values.

 

4.Safeguarding changes/Disqualification in Childcare

Reports/Papers circulated prior to the meeting

JS provided an update on this matter, referring to several documents and papers that have been written regarding the regulations. Governors were reminded that this relates to regulations which prohibit anyone who is disqualified themselves, or who lives in the same household as a disqualified person (known as disqualification by association), from working in a relevant setting, including some school settings.

 

JS advised that the school are currently deciding on the best approach to ensure that all staff have been made aware of the requirements, and that staff have the opportunity to declare any associative relationships as required by the regulations.

 

The governors asked a number of questions regarding this, and its implications for staff and the school as a whole. JS will provide a further update on the approach taken at the next Q&S meeting – ACTION

 

5.Ofsted changes following recent consultation

Report circulated prior to the meeting

JS updated the governors regarding a report published that summarised the responses following an Ofsted consultation regarding reforms that are proposed for September 2015. Among the proposed changes are:-

-   A new Common Inspection Framework for all Early Years settings.

-   Shorter inspections for schools that were judged good at their last full inspection. This will take place approximately every three years.

A lengthy discussion followed amongst the governors regarding Ofsted inspections.

 

6.Website Statutory Checklist

Handout provided – matter discussed above in line with previous actions.

 

7.Year R baseline

JS provided a brief update regarding the new proposals for Reception assessments that aims to assess children as they start in Reception, and then monitor and measure progress into KS1 and KS2.

Schools have been asked to review several packages and provide feedback on the one that they prefer – guidance from County has been provided. JS also advised that the Locality have an EYFS focus group and they have been involved in the proposed changes.

The governors asked a number of questions regarding this, and in particular how the data will be used, and whether it will be available on O-Track – JS responded accordingly. The Committee will be updated as and when further details are known.

 

8.Policies for approval;

-     Confidential Reporting

JW talked through the recent review of this policy and advised the Committee of the changes that have been made.

Decision – The governors approved the amended policy. 

 

-     Sex and Relationships Policy

JW advised that following a review of the policy, it was suggested that some wording be removed.

Decision – The governors approved the amended policy.

Action – BA to update both policies and send to the school office.

 

9. Assessment Update

JS advised the Committee that she recently attended a workshop regarding the new assessment wording. The new phrases to be used are ‘Working Towards’ or ‘Met’. There was no ‘Beyond’ or ‘Mastery’. The Committee compared this to phrases used in EYFS such as Exceeding, and that just two phrases would not tell parents very much.

A good discussion followed with the Governors asking questions regarding the proposed changes to assessments.

 

10.Update on SIP

-     JS advised the Committee that the recent Author visit was successful, with very good feedback from pupils.

-       Staff have started coaching sessions, with teachers being paired up with each other. Staff have been allowed time during the day for these sessions. A governor asked if they have had time out of school, and JS replied that they had visited a local Outstanding school. CN reported that this was very useful and a worthwhile trip allowing the teachers to not only observe another school but to also appreciate the strengths that Castlewood has. A discussion followed and it was pointed out from one of the governors that they may also benefit from visiting a Requires Improvement school that is on track for a Good, as some of those schools have put robust systems in place to raise standards.

-       A governor pointed out that it might be beneficial to have SIP and Monitoring together, in one document. A column could be added to the SIP that shows feedback and actions from governor monitoring visits. The Committee agreed to look at the SIP templates for September to include this. Action - JS to look at SIP template for 15/16 and set up a column for Governors - evidence of progress towards objectives.

-       JS advised that a workshop for parents has recently been held for English KS2; feedback was very good, with parents commenting that it was well organised. A Maths workshop has also been held.

-       JS provided an update on the new Parenting course that has been organised – approx. 20 parents have attended each session so far. The governors asked a number of questions regarding this course, and were pleased that this has been well received.

-       JS informed the governors of how she monitors Reading Diaries to ensure that all parents and children are actively reading at home. The governors were impressed with how thorough the process is, and one governor complimented JS on her tenacity with ensuring that Reading expectations are high. This led to a discussion on similar lines regarding Parents Evening, and the lengths the teaching staff go to to ensure that all parents have been seen and spoken with.

 

11.AOB

-     JW thanked the governors that helped at the Crèche.

-     A governor asked how the job share in Year 6 was going, and JS replied that it was still very good. At the recent SATs meeting, both teachers attended and the parents welcomed this.

-     The governors were asked if anyone could cover the Year 5 monitoring visit on behalf of Rev’d Godfrey as he has now left his position. Any governor interested in conducting this visit, please speak with JW. ACTION

 

 

Meeting ended at 8.25 pm

 

Next Meetings:

Wednesday 25th March – FGB (7pm)

Thursday 30th April – Resources Committee (7pm)

Thursday 7th May – Q&S Committee (7pm)

 

 

 

Summary of Actions

 

No

Detail

Who

1. Provide an update on the Disqualification by Association regulation and the approach taken at Castlewood – at the next Q&S meeting JS

2. Update both policies that were approved and send to the school office (MF) BA

3. Look at SIP template for 15/16 and set up a column for Governors - evidence of progress towards objectives. JS

4. If any governor is able to conduct a Monitoring visit to Year 5, in Rev’d Godfrey’s absence, please advise JW All

Q&S Agenda 12th March 2015

Castlewood School Governing Body              Castlewood Road

Quality & Standards Committee                           Southwater

Chair:         Maria Roberts                                  West Sussex    RH13 9US

Vice Chair:  Andrew Guy                                     Telephone:        01403 734822

                                                                        Fax                   01403 734978

                                                                        http://www.castlewood.w-sussex.sch.uk

 

 

Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

AGENDA

Quality and Standards Committee

Thursday 12th March 2015 - 7pm

 

                                                                                                                                                Max time         Lead

 

1: Apologies for absence and Declaration of Pecuniary Interest                  2 mins               MR

 

2: Approval of minutes from last Q&S meeting 22nd January 2015   2 mins               MR

 

3:Matters arising from Q&S committee 22nd January 2015;                        2 mins               MR

 

 

a. Website Statutory Checklist – needs to be on the agenda for the next Q&S meeting in March. MR/BA

b. Send list of items missing from website, to all governors. JS

c. Remind governors of the British Values, send by email. BA

d. Ofsted update to be included on the next Q&S meeting in MarchMR/BA

e. Email the Spring Term templates to all governors BA

 

4:Safeguarding changes/Disqualification in Childcare                                10 mins             JS

 

5: Ofsted changes following recent consultation                                        10 mins             MR

 

6: Website Statutory Checklist                                                                 15 mins             JS/MR  

 

7: Year R baseline                                                                                  20 mins             JS                                            

8: Policies for approval;                                                                          5 mins               MR

-       Confidential Reporting

-       Sex and Relationships policy

 

9: Assessment update                                                                            10 mins             JS

 

10: Update on SIP                                                                                  15 mins             JS

                                               

11: AOB                                                                                                5 mins               All

 

 

 

 

Dates of next meetings:

 

Wednesday 25th March – FGB (7pm)

Thursday 30th April – Resources Committee (7pm)

Thursday 7th May – Q&S Committee (7pm)

 

                                   

                                                           

 

 

Priorities 2014/15:

Raise standards in English – 100% of able pupils make expected progress and 45% make more than expected progress

Teaching and Learning increasingly moving from Good to Outstanding

Greater Engagement with hard to reach parents

 

 

 

What difference have we made to the school through what we have discussed tonight?

Member Login
Welcome, (First Name)!

Forgot? Show
Log In
Enter Member Area
My Profile Log Out