Q&S Minutes 14th January 2016

Castlewood School Governing Body                                                           Castlewood Road

Chair:          Maria Roberts                                                                             Southwater

Vice Chair:  Andy Guy                                                                                    West Sussex

                                                                                                                              RH13 9US

                                                                                                                              Telephone:              01403 734822

                                                                                                                              Fax                             01403 734978

                                                                                    http://www.castlewood.w-sussex.sch.uk

 

Our School’s key strengths:

Care, guidance and support at all levels: Team Work

Creative Curriculum and enrichment opportunities

Positive behaviour – inside and outside of school

 

Q&S Committee Meeting Minutes

Thursday 14th January 2016

Present: Chair - Maria Roberts (MR), Julie Wallace (JW), Sarah Speed (SS), Julia Slocombe (JS), Wendy Mason (WM), Lauren Brown (LB), Nicki Brown (NB), and Clare Quinlisk (CQ).

Clerk: Becky Atkinson (BA)

Meeting Commenced: 7pm

                                                                       

1.     Apologies for absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interests

Apologies were received from Gillian Knight and Mary Page. No apologies were received from Andy Guy; the governors approved these. No pecuniary interests were noted.     

 

2.     Approval of Minutes from previous meeting 19th November 2015

The minutes from the previous meeting were approved.

 

3.     Matters arising from previous meeting on 19th November 2015  

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

Send PDF copy of RAISE online document to Becky - ACTIONED

JS

2

Send all approved policies to the school office - ACTIONED

BA

3

Advise the office that the SEN and Child Protection Policies need to be published on the school’s website. ACTIONED

BA

4

Discuss with MF about adding a section to the Policy Grid to keep a log of changes required at subsequent reviews of policies. IN PROGRESS, ACTION CLOSE

BA

5

The Accessibility Strategy needs updating at its next review. Becky will add this to the log mentioned above. ACTIONED

BA

6

Ensure the Complaints Procedure policy is up to date. ACTIONED*

BA

7

Send Becky a copy of the LA visit report for loading onto the governor’s website. ACTIONED

JS/BA

8

BA will email the governors re 16/1/16 LA visit. ACTIONED

MR/BA

9

Topics for the next Q&S meeting in Jan 2016 to include Tracking & Assessment, and the SEF. ACTIONED

MR/BA

* A discussion was held regarding the Complaints Policy and whether this was published and readily available on the school’s website. ACTION (1) – BA to check and confirm.

 

4.     Autumn Term Data

MR introduced the session, and advised the governors that maybe a different way of looking at and analysing the data was needed. JS displayed each year group’s data for each pupil, in each class – the children’s names would be displayed along the top of the spreadsheet, but were hidden for this meeting.

 

A Q&A session followed, summarised here: -

 

1.     What is the data showing?

Answer: Class Data.

 

2.     What are the numbers relevant to?

Answer: The numbers are from 1 to 4, with 4 being the highest, and evidences exceptional working where a pupil is working one year above. 3 was the highest rating on the data that the governors were shown, and evidences that the pupil is working completely independently. The more 3’s the better.

 

3.     How do the teachers assess each child, what is the criteria?

Answer: The children are rated as 1 if they have completed a piece of work following teacher input. A 2 indicates they have completed the work without teacher input, and a 3 rating means that the child has completely understood the work, and the teacher is confident that even if they were asked to complete it months later, the child would be able to.

 

4.     What is the colour coding?

Answer: 1 Red, 2 Amber, 3 Green – the numbers and colours explain how many times a pupil has worked independently.

 

5.     Who completes the spreadsheet?

Answer: The teachers or teaching assistants.

 

6.     Are other schools using this system?

Answer: No, it is specific to Castlewood.

 

7.     The left hand side shows the learning objectives, what do the colours mean?

Answer: The yellow objectives are Key Performance Indicators and are specifically from the curriculum. Red text means Castlewood specific objectives (either DFE guidance or objectives broken into smaller steps.)

 

8.     What do the codes mean?

Answer:

WB – starting the age related curriculum

WD – developing

WS – working towards/secure

M – met

Embedded/Mastery

 

If children are on a B, this indicates they are working below their year group’s current curriculum – this could be a SEN pupil.

 

9.     Who monitors the other year groups?

Answer: Vicky Dedman and Lauren Brown

 

10.  Does the school have a calendar of when the objectives are taught?

Answer: This is the Medium Term Plan.

 

11.  How will children be assessed at Year 6?

Answer: They will be assessed as Met or Not Met.

 

12.  How can you compare with the old level 4, level 5 and level 6?

Answer: You can’t – the measures are different.

 

13.  What information will be provided to Year 6 parents? And does this also apply for all year group parents?

Answer: Yr 6 the Teacher Assessment, and the Test results in Yr 6. All other year groups will be based on Teacher Assessment.

 

14.  The changes are significant, how does Castlewood’s system compare to other schools?

Answer: MR confirmed that Castlewood are way ahead of most schools and that their organisation, preparation and system are very detailed and reassuring.

 

A discussion followed regarding the Pie Charts that JS has produced – these were provided ahead of the meeting and are driven by O-Track data.

 

The governors asked questions in order to confirm their understanding;

-        Can the committee review data from other local school’s to see how Castlewood compares?

-        Can SEN and Pupil Premium be shown?

ACTION (2) – JS to confirm the above questions.

 

A discussion followed about high ability and lower ability pupils, and intervention strategies. The Committee discussed how comfortable they are in reviewing and analysing the data, particularly if questioned as part of an Ofsted visit. The governors agreed it was important to continue to regularly review and track the data.

 

A governor mentioned that it would be helpful to have a Key on the spreadsheet data (the one displayed on the screen in the meeting), so that the governors could easily identify the different measures and abbreviations. ACTION (3) – JS to add this.

 

The Committee agreed that it was crucial to see progression of pupils from WB to WD to WS, and onwards.

 

5.     Self Evaluation Form (SEF)

JS explained what the SEF is and how it is used; the report provides an introduction to the school, and its context and background. If Ofsted were to visit, it is the first thing that is sent to them ahead of the visit. It includes details of previous inspections, any key issues and ongoing action/progress. The form will also detail areas for improvement, along with governor details and the school’s strengths. The SEF is updated annually or termly.

 

It was felt that the governors should be more involved in the SEF and as a result, the Committee agreed to hold a ‘SEF Workshop’ at the next Q&S meeting in March.

ACTION (4) – MR/JS to prepare format of this accordingly.

 

6.     Safeguarding and Child Protection update

Given that this item was also due to be discussed in the Resources Committee meeting, which was immediately following this meeting, an update did not take place due to time constraints. The minutes from the Resources meeting can be referred to.  

 

7.     AOB

There was no AOB.

 

Meeting ended at 8.05pm.

 

Dates of next meetings (Spring Term):

Thursday 3rd March 2016

7pm – Resources committee

 

Thursday 10th March 2016

7pm - Q&S Committee

 

Wednesday 23rd March 2016

 7pm - FGB meeting

 

Summary of Actions

No.

Action detail

Responsibility

1

BA to check and confirm that the Complaints Policy is available on the school’s website.

BA

2

Following review of the pie charts generated from O-Track data, can the governors review other local school’s data to compare? And can SEN and Pupil Premium be shown on the pie charts?

JS

3

Add a key to the spreadsheet data, so that governors can easily identify the measures and abbreviations.

JS

4

Prepare format and content for SEF Workshop to be held at the next Q&S meeting in March 2016.

MR/JS

Priorities 2015/16

Embed tracking system

Enable Lower Ability pupils to accelerate

Raise parental expectation

 

 

 

What difference have we made to the school through what we have discussed today?

Member Login
Welcome, (First Name)!

Forgot? Show
Log In
Enter Member Area
My Profile Log Out