Q&S Minutes 18th June 2015

CASTLEWOOD PRIMARY SCHOOL GOVERNING BODY

QUALITY AND STANDARDS COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

Thursday 18th June 2015

 

Present:   Chair, Maria Roberts (MR), Julie Wallace (JW), Julia Slocombe (JS), Chris Noble (CN), Wendy Mason (WM), Andy Guy (AG), Clare Quinlisk (CQ), Gillian Knight (GK)

Clerk: Becky Atkinson (BA)

Meeting Commenced:     19.00

 

1.    Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interest

Apologies were received from Nicki Brown, Sarah Speed and Mary Page. The Governors present approved the apologies. No declarations of pecuniary interest were made.

 

2.    Approval of Minutes from previous meeting 7th May 2015

All Governors present approved the minutes as a true record of the meeting.

3.    Matters arising from Q&S Committee meeting 7th May 2015

 

1.

In order to continue to monitor the quality assurance of the school’s tracking and assessment process, ensure this is included within the focus of the Monitoring Visits during the Autumn Term. ACTION CLOSED

GK/MR

2.

Governors should continue to ask challenging questions re pupil progress and effectiveness of intervention programmes that certain pupils are on. A named Governor (MR) to continue to monitor the progress of PP. ACTION CLOSED

All/ MR

3.

Ensure EYFS Baseline Assessment is on the agenda for Q&S first half of Autumn Term. ACTION CLOSED

MR/BA

 

4.    Ofsted Changes

JS and MR led the discussions about changes to Ofsted Inspections due for September 2015 – a summary was provided for governors of the expected changes. The key points were noted and discussed:-

Ø New guidelines were recently sent out to HTs providing an outline of what to expect.

Ø Inspectors are currently undergoing briefings and training.

Ø For schools on a Good rating, expectations are that an inspection may occur every 3       years. This would be a one day inspection that may then turn into a full two day inspection if the school is likely to be judged RI or Outstanding.

Ø The inspections would be carried out by Her Majesty’s Inspectors (HMIs).

Ø If they thought a school might be close to Outstanding, then another inspector would be called in to provide additional evidence within 48 hours.

A good discussion followed, and the Committee recognised that it was important for all governors to be aware of the timescales. In preparation for a future Ofsted inspection, the following points were noted by the governors:-

Ø The SEF will be a vital document for all governors to be up to speed with ahead of an inspection.

Ø Inspectors will also examine and ask questions regarding RAISE online data and the school website.

ACTION required – The governors discussed a number of areas that need to be managed and actioned, as follows:

Ø All documentation to be accessible and up to date (this will be managed via the new online portal that all governors will shortly have access to) – ACTION on BA/SS

Ø It is important that the school’s ‘middle leaders’ are up to speed – ACTION on JS

Ø It was agreed that in the Autumn Term, we would have some time in meetings to look at the SEF, RAISE online and other key documents so that all governors are comfortable with the content – ACTION on BA to ensure this is on the relevant agendas.

 

5.    New Curriculum – reports to parents

JS explained the new layout and format for reports to Parents, detailing the changes to wording and gradings in line with the new curriculum and assessment.

It was noted that Years 2 and 6 would continue to receive the old style reports with ‘Level’ gradings.

In line with the changes, Julia has written a letter to parents that will go out with the reports which explains the changes, and outlines the different gradings and assessments. Expectations have also been managed regarding pupils ‘exceeding’.

A discussion followed regarding the Phonics Screening tests.

It was recognised that the school office staff are working to challenging timescales, and it is a very busy time for them. A discussion followed regarding holding test papers within the locked cupboard.

A governor asked Julia whether or not parents will be asked for feedback regarding the new format reports – a discussion followed. 

 

6.    New Intake

JS confirmed that 30 children are starting in September 2015 – a governor asked about numbers starting at Southwater Infant Academy as a comparison, it was thought that there were some gaps, maybe 5 or 6 spaces.

Julia informed the Committee that the West Horsham Network have designed and developed a booklet that will be provided to the new intake children and their parents; this outlines expectations of the children, and their parents, as they prepare to start school. The governors were provided with copies of the draft booklet, and they reviewed these in the meeting and provided feedback; the governors felt that it was a good piece of work and would be worthwhile.

Julia moved on to discuss the Induction Meeting with parents and how the paper handouts that will be provided, have changed from previous years.

A governor asked about capacity within the current Reception year group given that there was a low intake for September 2014 - Julia responded accordingly that whilst there is capacity for more, some year groups just have low birth rates.

Julia confirmed that visits had been undertaken to local Pre-Schools, whose children feed into Castlewood. A discussion followed regarding home visits.

 

 

7.    Monitoring Visits for Summer Term

GK reminded all governors to book in for Summer Term visits, she asked governors to email reports to her in order that she can prepare a summary at FGB on 2nd July.

ACTION – governors to send GK copies of their reports via email (All)

ACTION – email CQ a copy of the Summer Term template (BA)

 

8.    FGB – 2nd July

JW informed the governors of the proposed format and timings for the FGB meeting on 2nd July. The governors were supportive of the proposals for the day.

ACTION -Timings and format will be sent out to all governors shortly (BA)

A governor challenged the Committee as to whether it was felt that governors spend enough time with the children in school, observing and watching them learn – a long discussion followed, and there was a variety of views from the Committee on this matter. The consensus amongst the governors was that whilst time spent with the children should be proportionate it should not put added pressure on the teaching staff.

ACTION – When preparing the Monitoring Visits template for the Autumn Term, consider more interaction with the children (GK)

9.    AOB

GK has been into the school and led two lessons on Greek Theatre. CN and JS thanked Gillian for her time in doing this.

Meeting ended at 8.10pm

Next Meetings:

Thurs 2nd July – FGB, all day

Thurs 17th Sep – Housekeeping Meeting

 

Summary of Actions

No

Detail

Who

1.

The governors discussed a number of areas that need to be managed and actioned in line with changes to Ofsted inspections.

a) All documentation to be accessible and up to date (this will be managed via the new online portal that all governors will shortly have access to) – ACTION on BA/SS

b) It is important that the school’s middle leaders’ are up to speed – ACTION on JS

c) It was agreed that in the Autumn Term, we would have some time in meetings to look at the SEF, RAISE online and other key documents so that all governors are comfortable with the content – ACTION on BA to ensure this is on the relevant agendas.

BA/SS

JS

BA

2.

Governors to send copies of their Summer Term visits to GK for her summary.

All

3.

Send CQ a copy of the Summer Term visit template

BA

4.

Send the proposed format and timings for FGB on 2nd July

BA

5.

Consider more interaction with the children when developing the visits template for the new academic year 2015/16

GK

Member Login
Welcome, (First Name)!

Forgot? Show
Log In
Enter Member Area
My Profile Log Out