Q&S Minutes 7th May 2015

CASTLEWOOD PRIMARY SCHOOL GOVERNING BODY

QUALITY AND STANDARDS COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

Thursday 7th May 2015

 

Present:   Chair, Maria Roberts (MR), Julie Wallace (JW), Julia Slocombe (JS), Chris Noble (CN), Wendy Mason (WM), Andy Guy (AG), Clare Quinlisk (CQ), Gillian Knight (GK)

Clerk: Becky Atkinson (BA)

Meeting Commenced:     19.00

 

1.          Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Pecuniary Interest

Apologies were received from Nicki Brown, Sarah Speed and Mary Page. The Governors present approved the apologies. No declarations of pecuniary interest were made.

 

2.            Approval of Minutes from previous meeting 12th March 2015

All Governors present approved the minutes as a true record of the meeting.

3.            Matters arising from Q&S Committee meeting 12th March 2015  

1. Provide an update on the Disqualification by Association regulation and the approach taken at Castlewood – at the next Q&S meeting ACTIONED – see below* JS

2. Update both policies that were approved and send to the school office (MF) ACTIONED BA

3. Look at SIP template for 15/16 and set up a column for Governors - evidence of progress towards objectives. ACTIONED JS

4. If any governor is able to conduct a Monitoring visit to Year 5, in Rev’d Godfrey’s absence, please advise JW ACTIONED – CQ has agreed to undertaken the visits to Yr 5 All

 

* In relation to action point 1 above, JS informed the governors that all members of staff have received a letter explaining the new requirements for ‘Disqualification by Association’, and staff have had to complete a declaration and return it to the school office. In addition to this, a column on the single central record indicates responses.

 

4.           Yr 6 attainment predictions and in-year progress

Handouts provided

JS informed the governors that based on the recent mock tests, Yr 6 attainment is looking promising. The results were:-

 

 

Level 3 Level 4 Level 5 SPAG

7% 93% 83% Reading

0 100% 79% Maths

0 100% 66%

 

A discussion followed regarding the mock tests, the results and the expectations for the forthcoming SATs. JS explained that the Year 6 children had been having intensive spelling sessions to raise performance in that area. JS also pointed out that whilst the mock tests were based on the previous years SATs, it is difficult to predict what is coming, and levels of difficulty can vary from year to year.

 

In summary, it is hoped that the school can achieve 100% at Level 4 or above, with a high percentage of Level 5. The governors complimented JS and the teaching/support staff on the good preparation that was evidenced ahead of test week.

 

JS moved on to discuss the Tracking Sheets for Years 1 to 6, a few areas were highlighted and discussed:-

§  A discussion followed regarding the comparisons between old system and new system/new curriculum.

§  JS provided a further handout during the meeting that showed an example of how Year 1 children are assessed and tracked. A number of questions from the Governors followed, and a good discussion was held.

§  The governors were asked to think about whether they could see that progress is being made; how do they satisfy themselves that the children understand what they are learning, rather than just learning it, and a robust discussion followed regarding independent learning.

As a result of these discussions, the governors felt it was important to see how the tracking works in practice, and that in the Autumn Term, one or two governors could come into school and see how the process works within the school. The governors felt it was important to have quality assurance regarding the process. ACTION – ensure this is included within the focus of the Governor’s monitoring visits during the Autumn Term. GK/MR

§  A governor queried whether the school should expect to see some children obtaining ‘exceeds target’ at the end of the Summer Term based on the fact that for some categories, the Autumn Term and Spring Term show 100% of children on track to achieve expected and should we expect to better this? JS replied to this accordingly and explained that there is a big emphasis on embedding the learning, and the children working independently to apply their knowledge to solve problems. Examples were provided.

§Another governor noticed that there had been a slip for SEN pupils regarding Maths from the Autumn Term to the Spring Term. JS reassured the governors that in some cases, children cannot sustain the progress every term and there are occasional dips but she was expecting that the class teacher would address this before the end of the Summer term.

Overall, the governors were extremely pleased with the Year 6 mock results, and were happy with the progress being made in other years.  They were satisfied that they were challenging and asking the right questions to ensure understanding and quality assurance.

 

5.          Feedback from PP training – what actions should the GB now have?

§   A discussion followed regarding the recent Locality training that was hosted by Castlewood (Raising the Achievement of Disadvantaged Children). A long discussion followed regarding the content of this training, and how the governors can ensure that Castlewood is doing everything they can for Pupil Premium children.

§  A governor challenged the Committee regarding the process for ‘missing children’, and whether or not all of the governors understood the process and how this is managed. JS provided an explanation of the steps that are in place to manage such a situation where a child goes missing and is absent from school, particularly for a long period. Even if a parent informs the school that their child is moving to another school, there is a process in place to ensure that there are no gaps and that the child is tracked during this time. The governors were reassured that the process is robust.

§  In summary, the governors were comfortable that PP is a small group at Castlewood and that they are well catered for and the support that the school currently provides to them is very good. However, it was highlighted that this situation can change from one year to another, maybe in terms of the volume of children that are PP, and the Committee recognised that it is important to monitor the support for PP children on a regular basis.

ACTION – Governors should continue to ask challenging questions re pupil progress and effectiveness of intervention programmes that certain pupils are on. A named Governor (MR) to continue to monitor the progress of PP.

 

6. Approve SEN policy

JS provided a brief summary of the SEN policy; the governors queried a couple of areas but subject to these amendments, the Committee approved the SEN Policy – DECISION.

 

A governor questioned the other Committee members regarding the roles involved to ensure everyone understood who is responsible;

SEN Co-ordinator (SENCO) - Julia Slocombe

SEN Teacher - Sue Parkins

SEN Governor - Maria Roberts

 

7. Update on EYFS baseline assessment

JS provided an update regarding the intention to introduce assessment at the start of EYFS (Reception Year) from September 2015. Schools had to choose 1 out of 6 providers by end of April, with the support and guidance from WSCC and the WHN, Castlewood have chosen Early Excellence.

 

A healthy discussion followed regarding the planned implementation of this initiative. The governors were happy to support the decision to go with Early Excellence, and a further update will be provided in the Autumn Term. ACTION – MR/BA to ensure EYFS baseline assessment is on the agenda for Q&S during the first half of the Autumn Term.

 

8. Statutory guidance on exclusions

JW explained that the recent guidance issued on exclusions dated Jan 2015 was incorrect, and schools have been advised to revert back to the Sep 2012 guidance for the time being. A discussion followed.

 

9.     AOB

There was no AOB.

 

 

 

 

Meeting ended at 8 pm

Next Meetings:

Thurs 11th June – Resources Committee 7pm

Thurs 18th June – Q&S Committee 7pm

Thurs 2nd July – FGB – All Day

 

Summary of Actions

 

No

Detail

Who

1. In order to continue to monitor the quality assurance of the school’s tracking and assessment process, ensure this is included within the focus of the Monitoring Visits during the Autumn Term.  GK/MR

2. Governors should continue to ask challenging questions re pupil progress and effectiveness of intervention programmes that certain pupils are on. A named Governor (MR) to continue to monitor the progress of PP.  All/ MR

3. Ensure EYFS Baseline Assessment is on the agenda for Q&S first half of Autumn Term. MR/BA

Member Login
Welcome, (First Name)!

Forgot? Show
Log In
Enter Member Area
My Profile Log Out